Looks great. Two questions.
#1. How does it fit the model?
#2. What is the cost of that PMMA puck?
Thank you

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Yep fab...
machine made splints can fit far better than hand made... you have so much control over the important parameters.. e.g. surveying, offset etc
Splints can be so good from a machine....

IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7805.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
You guys are killin' me here.... I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You guys are killin' me here.... I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!
We are doing anterior deprogrammers from IO scans and models and full arch bite splints from poured models. They fit great on the model and in the mouth. I don't mill them myself so I can't comment of the cost of the PMMA disk. Ask rc75

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
We are doing anterior deprogrammers from IO scans and models and full arch bite splints from poured models. They fit great on the model and in the mouth. I don't mill them myself so I can't comment of the cost of the PMMA disk. Ask rc75
Where are you sending them, what is the turn around time, and how much are they? I'd like to send mine! If you don't mind my asking.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Some images of a bite splint from one of our newer customers in the Golden State. We installed them just before Christmas and they are jammin'!

Out of curiosity, what's the machining time on a splint like that ?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Where are you sending them, what is the turn around time, and how much are they? I'd like to send mine! If you don't mind my asking.
Pm sent

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the machining time on a splint like that ?
We milled one for testing and it took close to 2 hours. For me not very effective use of my mill. I think that printing is the way to go.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking too...haven't cut any splints yet, but the random PMMA parts I made took a long time to mill...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
We milled one for testing and it took close to 2 hours. For me not very effective use of my mill. I think that printing is the way to go.
printing this on an objet printer maybe about 1hr if youre only doing one. up to 7 hrs if its a full plate.

on a 3dsystems i estimate a full build plate around 10hrs. maybe less.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick heads up here.

Please respect the sponsors and keep things on topic with the products being advertised.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Looks great. Two questions.
#1. How does it fit the model?
#2. What is the cost of that PMMA puck?
Thank you

Fit was great but I do not have the model, just relating what I was told by the customer.
The PMMA product was Luminesse and cost about $80
Used diamond tooling 3mm-1mm diameter.
Machine time was just a tick under 60 minutes but that was finishing full 5-axis. Optimization in 3-axis mode would save more time so total machining time would be well under 60 minutes.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Im not convinced printing is the way to go, not yet anyway. The millable materials are still way better than the ones available for printing IMO.
DLP machines and materials for them are coming out of the woodwork, but I still don't see a viable production system, nor the materials suitable for real long term use.
They may have passed all the registrations for use in the mouth but they still lack in physical and optical properties.
I think the machines and materials need to drop in price by at least 50% to make it viable, and I don't know why the companies do not get this. If they made their products more affordable, more people would use them and the adaptation of 3D printing in dental would be more rapid.

The fact is for the average small lab 3D printing is not financial option. They are expensive to run and maintain, ask anyone with one.

I have some decent 3D printers in my lab and I still only print models and surgical guides, splints are a completely different appliance that require a different approach.
So for now milling will give you a better appliance.

As for time..how long it takes to mill... it depends what machine and what strategy you write, We ave about 4 strategies depending on the time vs finish we want.
Also always mill with the thinnest puck you can suitable for the splint, this saves time too.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I am not convinced milling a night guard is very profitable. If you have mill time that is not being used for more profitable restoration than maybe. As for material choices and clear material suitable and cleared for the FDA I was under the assumption there are not many.

As for printing again same problem the clear is not clear and is brittle, not a great combo. I hear of a bunch of new resins that are coming out hopefully there will be some new innovations to get printers and consumables lower and allow the average guy to put them into practice.

We have been milling "DEPROGRAMER" style appliances which are small and fast to mill and command a good ROI and these are exceedingly easier to do with CAD CAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
John,
Depends what you can get for a night guard. Also can you sell your customers on the benefits of a CAM splint, and there are plenty. Also how do you service a person who sends Intra Oral Scans, you will need some sort of CAM solution.

As for printing...sure new materials " on the way" Next Dent, Primotech, Bego and others have materials that look great on paper, but none have any track record.
It will be interesting how these materials fare...and more importantly the machines to used them. DLP is a "cheap" technology that is way overpriced and not as accurate as they would like to let on.

Here is an interesting article..and one that shows the author does not really understand that any appliance or prosthetic in the mouth comes under mechanical stress.

http://www.materials360online.com/newsDetails/59957;jsessionid=F5FD3D923093F49BE9C2A647A3B6D529

But hey they are trying to sell 3D printing.

I think 3D printing has many years to go yet.....

I love 3D printing..use it everyday, but i just hate the BS that accompanies it.

smilesatgalleria

smilesatgalleria

Reaction score
It helps to make dental model for particular person's mouth. The material put inside mouth. After some time it completely makes the mouth model so that you can check each and every teeth.

Top Bottom