Lab Specializing in Removable Prosthesis

Do complete and partial dentures bring in enough revenue to support a small lab?

• Yes

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. I am a lab technician with experience in complete and partial dentures. My lab only makes these products. I am testing for CDT certification next month with hopes of using this certification to promote and sell myself to local dentist. I want to own a lab one day and was curious to see how many technicians, if any, have a profit off of complete and partial dentures alone? I currently work for a large scale denture chain that brings in a steady revenue off of these products.

I have noticed that implants are often talked about in these forums. Would you all recommend learning how to do implant cases? I have some experience with MDI (mini-dental implants) but they are not fixed in the patients mouth permanently.

Pat_L

Pat_L

Reaction score
If you keep an eye out for the numbers, you can make a profit in every area of the lab. Removable has less on the supply side for expenses, but the margins can be higher. Small 1 to 3 person labs seem to do ok, and large 6 and over labs as well, but there seems to be an area in the middle where the labour costs exceed the work billed for some reason. We have been around for over 20 years or so, doing removable only. We expanded into fixed at about the 10 year mark, but that was a disaster. (personalities I think, all ceramists are a little crazy) As far as implants are concerned, it's best to know how to do everything, there is no such thing as too much knowledge. Implant supported full dentures are becoming more prevalent, you can always send the bar out to get milled and just do the acrylic work. Best of luck in the profession

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting. I am a lab technician with experience in complete and partial dentures. My lab only makes these products. I am testing for CDT certification next month with hopes of using this certification to promote and sell myself to local dentist. I want to own a lab one day and was curious to see how many technicians, if any, have a profit off of complete and partial dentures alone? I currently work for a large scale denture chain that brings in a steady revenue off of these products.

I have noticed that implants are often talked about in these forums. Would you all recommend learning how to do implant cases? I have some experience with MDI (mini-dental implants) but they are not fixed in the patients mouth permanently.

Luke,

Where you from. In the process of moving our lab and may be looking for more techs.
Check out www.hawkeyedentalstudio.com Mailing address on there to send resume if interested.

Danny

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
If you keep an eye out for the numbers, you can make a profit in every area of the lab. Removable has less on the supply side for expenses, but the margins can be higher. Small 1 to 3 person labs seem to do ok, and large 6 and over labs as well, but there seems to be an area in the middle where the labour costs exceed the work billed for some reason. We have been around for over 20 years or so, doing removable only. We expanded into fixed at about the 10 year mark, but that was a disaster. (personalities I think, all ceramists are a little crazy) As far as implants are concerned, it's best to know how to do everything, there is no such thing as too much knowledge. Implant supported full dentures are becoming more prevalent, you can always send the bar out to get milled and just do the acrylic work. Best of luck in the profession

Pat L.

Thanks for your feedback and first hand experiences. Exactly what I was looking for. Look forwards to talking with you in the future

Luke

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Luke,

Where you from. In the process of moving our lab and may be looking for more techs.
Check out www.hawkeyedentalstudio.com Mailing address on there to send resume if interested.

Danny

Danny

I'm from Winchester, VA. Where are you expanding? I have family here so I wouldn't be willing to move far. Also I'm working through my undergraduate studies in hopes of being accepted into a dental school.

I have actually seen your webpage before and was very impressed. I was working on a school project and stumbled upon it. Well done.

Nice to meet you

Luke

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
anyone have advice on best place to purchase dental supplies? Acrylic, teeth, stones, tools, etc..I'm also looking for new or used equipment lathes, hydrocolloid machine, model trimmer, pressue pots, etc..

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Danny

I'm from Winchester, VA. Where are you expanding? I have family here so I wouldn't be willing to move far. Also I'm working through my undergraduate studies in hopes of being accepted into a dental school.

I have actually seen your webpage before and was very impressed. I was working on a school project and stumbled upon it. Well done.

Nice to meet you

Luke

Luke,

Will be renting space from a present lab owner that does fixed work here in Iowa.
Wish you luck on your plans of dental school.

Danny

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Luke,

Will be renting space from a present lab owner that does fixed work here in Iowa.
Wish you luck on your plans of dental school.

Danny

Danny,

Thanks and good luck to you as well on expanding business.

Luke

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
anyone have advice on best place to purchase dental supplies? Acrylic, teeth, stones, tools, etc..I'm also looking for new or used equipment lathes, hydrocolloid machine, model trimmer, pressue pots, etc..

Luke, give Ron at TD dental supply a call, he's a supporter of this forum and good guy to deal with. He's been honest and good to me and many many other members of this forum.
(877) 358-5833 www.tddentalsupply.com

For the bigger stuff that he doesn't carry,go eBay, and call Benco. 1800-go-benco. They have a stock in Pennsylvania, which would mean next day arrival on ground shipping prices for stufff they have in that stockpile. They are decent, and, if I remember his boundaries right, the territory rep is old school knowledge instead of a college degree on a clueless salesman. PM me if you want his contact info, I've got it stufffed nearby. If he's not your guy, he'd get you to the right one. Benco also has nice financing options available if that's your thing.

For a pressure pot, grap a cheap wal-mart (fagoramerica) pressure cooker, grab a $2 2-pack of car tire air stems from the care repair section while you're there and a $10 bike stomp tire inflator. Take off the nut holding the pressure adjust selector, widen it out and pop thru a tire stem-the proper hole size is on there in decimal of inches, it's xomething like 19/64's. You'l need to vaseline the time stem to puzh and pull it through. All done for under $60. The bike inflator will tell you the pressure, or you can take off its gauge and drill another hole in the lid for it. Hope this helps some at this late date 2 months later, sorry for not seeing and responding to this sooner.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
@JMN well i have resolved many of these issues since this post. Used a similar approach to pressure pot but had my father tap it in for me on a shrader valve stem. It holds pressure! Haha

You highly recommend benco? I had been getting quotes from zahn. But benco may be a better deal. I notice my company does order some stone, plaster, and pumice from Benco.

As for some of the othwr stuff i listed, found ways around it. I am purchasing dry model trimmer (save on plumbing) from a member. And found an old forum where a member used kettle cooker for hydrocolloid molds.

Not the greatest facility but soon I will be able to produce and upgrade as business grows.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Seems people think your up to something illegal when building labs. Pressure cooker everyone thinks I want to make a bomb... Propane tank to bunsen burner... Meth.

But since this original thread things have gone good. Once I have some electric run through garage be ready to pick up some clients.

You all on this site have been a HUGE help. Feel like I learn at least one thing new on here a day.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Did some marketing runs and have had a few doctors tell me they will send work. Officially been open for business two weeks tomorrow. Still waiting for the first case but remaining optimistic, i know it will take a few years to build a steady clientele. Seems like there is a demand in my area and little competition apart from the chain denture establishment in town ( my day job for the time being.) Glad I didnt put in my two weeks notice when the first doctor said he would send cases haha, i would be extremely stressed now. Went a little over my budget plans but thing should be just like im used to when that first case does come in.

Also have found a big demand for c&b in my area. Wondering if I could go full service and benefit from this demand but I have no experience with C&B. For now it is just removable.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Full service is tough especially by yourself.

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
I believe it. Ill just stay with what I have some knowledge in

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Did some marketing runs and have had a few doctors tell me they will send work. Officially been open for business two weeks tomorrow. Still waiting for the first case but remaining optimistic, i know it will take a few years to build a steady clientele. Seems like there is a demand in my area and little competition apart from the chain denture establishment in town ( my day job for the time being.) Glad I didnt put in my two weeks notice when the first doctor said he would send cases haha, i would be extremely stressed now. Went a little over my budget plans but thing should be just like im used to when that first case does come in.

Also have found a big demand for c&b in my area. Wondering if I could go full service and benefit from this demand but I have no experience with C&B. For now it is just removable.
Workflows are very dedicated.
At sole proprietor size, you're better sticking to one arena.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I would find a C+B guy that you can work well with and refer to him and have him refer you. Cross work on all of your attachment cases, crown under future partial cases, implant bars ect.