Zirconia Pigmenting Station - FINAL-

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Okay, here is the final design of the pigmenting station. We have the vacuum chambers set for an 8 minute infiltration cycle, followed by ten minutes in the infrared drying oven on a bed of zirconia beads (both units are on built in timers). The oven is hooked to the central vacuum to vent off fumes and keep air flow high. We may add a baffle to control that part, but at this point, I think we're done.

I like having good controlled systems in place that ensure repeatable, consistent results every time.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00287_20110418_0835.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00287_20110418_0835.jpg

doug

doug

Reaction score
Nice. Keep us posted on how it works over time. Patent it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The last one looked way cooler Mark, however I don't doubt it will work, it's to simple not to.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I'm all about SYSTEMS, automation and consistency. This has been a greatr addition to our zirconia department.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
thanks for the info, very interesting.

F

Frankie

Reaction score
Mark,

I have seen the Bruxzir video and they have the same a similar vacuum set up like you do (I know you work with their R&D dept sometimes). I spoke with Razi (I think that is how you spell her name) and she said they are not selling their set up but I can do the same thing by going to Home Depot. Can you please share how to set up a vacuum system like yours to remove the air bubbles from the crowns during coloring?

Thank you in advance,
Frankie

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Mark,

I have seen the Bruxzir video and they have the same a similar vacuum set up like you do (I know you work with their R&D dept sometimes). I spoke with Razi (I think that is how you spell her name) and she said they are not selling their set up but I can do the same thing by going to Home Depot. Can you please share how to set up a vacuum system like yours to remove the air bubbles from the crowns during coloring?

Thank you in advance,
Frankie

Is this the "All Cerec All The Time" Frankie ???

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Mark, what is the core benefit to the vacuum system ? thanks, James

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Frankie from A&A in CA??

Mark, make an un-biased test with a unit in vacuum and another in atmospheric pressure during staining.

I bet they look identicle.

(no cheating)

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Frankie from A&A in CA??

Mark, make an un-biased test with a unit in vacuum and another in atmospheric pressure during staining.

I bet they look identicle.

(no cheating)

Just because something looks okay it doesn't mean everything's correct.
examples..........

ai52.tinypic.com_263akib.jpg

ai54.tinypic.com_v42byw.jpg

Pssssssst..........they're GUYS!
ai52.tinypic.com_263akib.jpg ai54.tinypic.com_v42byw.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, what is the core benefit to the vacuum system ? thanks, James

It's all about even distribution of color. Copings have a uniform uptake of pigment, but as the material gets thicker in full contour applications, the pigments can start to wet the surface, and will only penetrate the material so far and then the surface reaches a saturation point, and the zirconia will not absorb any more stain. By using the vacuum, you get even distribution deeply, and throughout the unit.

When you are doing hundreds and hundreds of them at a time, you DO see variations, and by using the vacuum and a timer, you ensure consistency throughout the products you produce.

We are all about consistency here, and following the manufacturers instructions verbatim and to the letter. Don't you wish everybody did?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Stupid question here - do you know if repeated staining with the same solution would dilute the pigment concentration, or if the vaccum compensates by the action to evaporate the liquid medium?
LCM

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Stupid question here - do you know if repeated staining with the same solution would dilute the pigment concentration, or if the vaccum compensates by the action to evaporate the liquid medium?
LCM

We change the liquid once a week. It starts getting cloudy, even when we clean the units aggressively before putting them in the bath.

F

Frankie

Reaction score
This is Frankie in Florida. I am new to the field so am not the "All Cerec All the Time", I will have to find or earn my own title in time.

Mark Jackson,

You did not answer my question. Can you share how to make this suction set up like your lab has?

Frankie in Florida ..... maybe I have a title now ;)

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
This is Frankie in Florida. I am new to the field so am not the "All Cerec All the Time", I will have to find or earn my own title in time.

Mark Jackson,

You did not answer my question. Can you share how to make this suction set up like your lab has?

Frankie in Florida ..... maybe I have a title now ;)

Frankie in Florida, all you need to do id find a vacuum tight vessel of some kind. S&W plastics sells some like the ones shown here. Then you need a few brass fittings, some vacuum line, and a porcelain furnace pump. Mine is a German one that we had in our basement, but any one will do. Yoy can buy a timer that you can plug the pump into. Twist the know to eight minutes and when the time is up, the vacuum shuts off. We have the pump don in the cupboard under the sink.

You can go as low tech, or high tech as you want. You can see our first version here:

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f6/vacuum-manifold-epic-fail-7428/

F

Frankie

Reaction score
Mark Johnson,

Thank you for sharing.

One more question I see 2 hoses going to the 2 jars (1 to each). Why? Do you have 2 pumps under there to do more than 1 jar at a time or am I missing something? Am I correct in thinking that one hose goes from the pump into a jar and that is all you need to run a 1 jar lab set up? Or does it somehow go to the first jar and then a hose goes from that 1st jar to the 2nd jar for some reason?

Frankie in Florida

F

Frankie

Reaction score
Never mind.

I saw the entire link you sent and now get it.

Thank you.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Mark - how critical do you think the staining process is to the actual fatique strength for the Bruxir system? Do you think it improves the resistance to potential for low temperature degradation over time? I am assuming the Bruxir material is Y-TZP material of course although that might be proprietary information.
J.J. Swab, Low temperature degradation of Y-TZP materials, J Mater Sci 26 (1991),pp. 6706–6714.
LCM