Wire bending basics...ad to it if you like....

L

labdude

Reaction score
.036 Wrap Around wire video

In this one you can see the use of 3 prong, and the way I sometimes push the wire with a finger, as well as squeeze with the plier. I leave no marks on the wire.
Important thing is to use new or newer pliers, all types of pliers. I get about 6 months out of a pair of 3 prong. The Young plier goes for years, as does the hawley forming plier.
In the grinding videos, same thing. Get used to using sharp burs, always use sharp burs. Once your in tune to them, it will be easier and your time spent will be less for any given appliance. Also as a note, I use 3 cups of medium grade pumice for pumicing. When it gets down to about 2 cups, I toss it. That amounts to about 90 to 100 appliances.
I use the young pliers in this video, I haven't used the hawley forming plier in any yet. I'll make a L.L.A. video that will show its use. All these pliers are listed by the name used here at OSE dental supply.
Ask away...lurkers welcome.
Mike.
An additional note...watch the 3 prong plier, I have a tendency to flip it over, single prong up , to 2 prong up, very quickly.
[YOUTUBE]EKNhS812x34[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
wow! that is great! i hate to do the wrap arounds- i stuggle with them, you make it look effortless!

L

labdude

Reaction score
Like everything, do it a lot and it gets easier.
Learn to see where the wire has to go, before it's bent. Se it in your mind, take a picture. Bend as much as you can off the model, without refitting. Just like in the Quad Helix video.
Simple wires like "C" clasps or ball clasps are great place to start practiceing off model shapeing. You will find yourself able to go further with less try ons.

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
I have a question, do you have spring loaded 3 prong pliers. Is there a big difference in economy pliers and the $50 to $80 premium versions?

I tried it this evening with the 3 prong and you make it look very easy.

L

labdude

Reaction score
I use the 064 3 prong from OSE. No spring loading. I have a problem sometimes trying new things. I get set with something and it's hard to change me.
This is a problem I recognize with myself, and always have to be on the watch for. Trying new things has helped most of the time.
Premium 3 prongs?? I don't know. I do know this, a 3 prong can not have inserts like the Young or the Hawley forming plier. To much flex. So..you have to replace them when the grooves get to deep and in the way.
Looks easy, I suppose. Still seems tedious to me. Guess you need to do it 10 k times, it gets easier.
One of the things in my head is this....I can show anyone how to do something till the cows come home, they still may not be able to do it. Those that do learn it, will only get close to my speed and fit.
My bottom line is a quality product first. Which in a way can explain my videos, they are not "dusted and cleaned". Not set up to look pretty. Just the straight facts, all I will ever give you.
So....I don't do a "polished" video....I have no one to impress here. I am only interested in delivering the highest quality product to my clients. Those are the ones I try to impress, with the fit, and all I can do for them. Quality appliance, overnight delivery if they want. I even have 2 offices in town that allow me to work in their labs at night. Therefore, I make an appliance for sameday delivery.
Now...I need to do some work today and shrink my head a little.
One of the things I am enjoying most in my life right now....is making these videos and sharing what I have learned here, at DLN. Rocks my world!
Mike.

Teofil

Teofil

Reaction score
@Mike, thanks for the clips :)
It would be really helpful if you could take 3-4 pictures of finished work and embed them in post so we could see finished appliance in detail, it would be easier and more interesting to follow the work flow.

L

labdude

Reaction score
I could do that. I have a few pictures of finished work here already. I believe in "patterns" or something. Her in ortho forum anyway.
Thing is like I said, they will not be "polished" pictures.
I only return work models to a few drs. Most don't want them back.
Once in a while I do find it's need to fit one to a work model. I do this anyway on random cases to police myself.
edit: here's the spot with some pictures. Not very good ones though. I have a new 8 MP camera now. I'll take some others and post as I can.
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f42/more-one-shot-appliances-821/

Last edited:
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Very nice work and video! Coaxing the wire to lay passively on the cast is and art, and a science in patience. Your finished products are beautiful. Thanks so much for showing the wrap-around. I've not made one in several years (kinda forgot about it actually).
I've not seen a bench, model holder like yours. It seems handy.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Mr Big Head is back.
Linda is tweaked.....my fever is gone after 2 days. She had it for a week and a half. I don't know how she lives with me...germs can't.

Anyhow...wire bending....I remebered something from way back when I used to train.
Use a sharp tipped marker of some sort. Some of them will dry up if left open, some last just a little while. I found that "Sharpie" type, that are not labled as "fine point" last the longest. Just cap them at night, unless you work all night.
So...with that marker, you procede. Look at the .036 wrap video, you will see that I place a loop at a measured place along the wire.
Notice....slow or pause the video. I place the wire first in the palate, hold it at a point with my right hand, then I place it over the arch behind the last molar (could be a 6 or 7 or 8). I move my right thumb to that point to mark it. I don't mark it witha pen, just hold it at that spot. Then I lay the wire along the buccal segment and measure in the same way to the cuspid, then I add a little more length to allow for the loop. That is when and where you see me bend the loop.
I place the loop where it need to be in relation to the cuspid. I adjust it to touch the lateral. At this point I would instuct people to make a tiny mark on the wire, right where it makes contact with the lateral. This last point of contact is your next concern. Only make adjustments to the wire past that mark. Any bends made before the mark will cause the wire to not fit. Also, any bend to adjust it to the central, that is to tight, will cause the wire to lift from the lateral. This must be fixed before moving on to the next central.
Then to the next lateral and finally the cuspid. Before you place the opposite loop on the wire, make sure the wire is not raveling up or down or swerveing up and down on the labial area. starighten it now if needed. I f you don't, and go ahead and make the loop, you will compound the lack of fit to a point off having to spend more time fixing it, than if you made EVERY bend right to start with.
So...this means check the fit after every bend you make. For proper contact and proper labial height. Fix it at the point before you move on.
To do the posterior, you make the 90 degree bend at the same height as the begining one.
IMPORTANT POINT.....ALWAYS FIT THE WIRE TO THE CUSPID YOU STARTED WITH FIRST, THEN CHECK FIT TO OTHER TEETH. If you don't....the entire wire will need fixing. Resulting in more time than you will spend, trying and perfecting this method.

Mark the wire all you need. Make small bends as you need. Doing this will give you the "feel" of your pliers and develope your "eye" for bending. You do this thing... you will be fast.
It takes time, be patient, it will happen.
Remember, this twit (me) has been at it for 39 years.
If I could give you a pill that would transfer to you this info in compacted time, I would.

L

labdude

Reaction score
So..... I also suggest you don't "start" trying to make a wrap around. You are beating your head against the wall. Unless of course (Ron and Rachel) your drs want those. Then...it's crash course time!
3 to 3 bows are the best way to start. Even better, if you've never bent a wire before, do"C" clasps. Justa a day or 2...nothing but "C" clasps.
The people I have trained, some had no idea as to what any of it was all about. You can tell within a week if they will be capable or not.
It does take them about 30 days to get on to piece work, from the point of knowing nothing. Some longer.
If you can make a wire that fits at all, no matter how long it takes, you can do this.
Your ability to ingrease production is up to you. You have to either jump in and aquire clients, or work oeve and over on a few models.
Same goes for acrylic.

L

labdude

Reaction score
I would like to hear your methods also.

For a 3 to 3 wire, and for adams clasps, I have marks notched into the edge of my work bench.
One is for 1 1/2 inches. Other is 1 1/4/ inches.
The longer is for a 3 to 3. At the 1 1/2 inch measure, make a mark on the wire. Then put the labial loop in the wire. The loop is made from the short end. Clue?? Check the .036 video. I t shows the loop being made for a longer length, but, the method is the same.
I need to make a video of these things. Give me time. Fever is gone, but I am wacked from it.
Enjoy Thanksgiving week guys!
Mike.

L

labdude

Reaction score
The model holder I use in the videos is from Panavise. They can be found. They used to be in Long Beach Ca. Moved to another state years ago.
Nice unit, clamps right on the edge of the bench. Accepts any size model, holds firmly.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Panavise. I worked especially well for your vid, I think it would be much tougher to show the steps if you were only using a flat lab bench.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Anyhow...wire bending....I remebered something from way back when I used to train.
Use a sharp tipped marker of some sort. Some of them will dry up if left open, some last just a little while. I found that "Sharpie" type, that are not labled as "fine point" last the longest. Just cap them at night, unless you work all night.

Mike,

Another thing that I used to mark the wires is a pencil called Rocky Mountain Arch Marker. I believe they come in a pack of 6 so they do last a while, I have been using this last one for the last 5 years or so but then again I no longer do any ortho.

Just thought I would throw that in as another way of marking the wires.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
THanks for sharing, your technique is so precise and efficient. Hate wrap a rounds
trisha

L

labdude

Reaction score
Clear Dental, Bill, and Trisha,
Thanks for the responses and comments and ideas.
I'm going to check with RM about those markers.
Is there any work you would like to see videoed??? Let me know I'll do it next.
Thanks, Mike.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
for marking the wire you can also get a white pencil from an art store. colored crayola pencils work too

L

labdude

Reaction score
Thanks lab lady,
Reminds me of something also. The Panavise I use can be found in some larger hobby stores.

rs promotions

rs promotions

Reaction score
Panavise

We found ours on E Bay saved about 50%

Search for panavise 350

Last edited: