Why can't I save my work in the middle of scanning a large case?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I use the DWOS 3 Series. I am trying to scan a 6 unit case and I keep getting an error that says something like it can't "mesh cloud points?" I have twice had to restart the case. Why can't I save the initial scan of the arch so I don't have to start completely over? This reminds me of college where you would be typing a paper on a PC and if you forgot to save and the power went out, you were SOL. Are all scanners this way?

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Brett, what version of software do you have, have you upgraded ur 3 series to 64 bit from the 32

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Haven't paid for the upgrade yet. I am using 3.1.0.18408.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
The error I get occurs after I scan the arch and start to scan the preps on the model. The exact error msg is : An error occurred while matching the point clouds. Then it tries to restart the scan and I get: No scanner found. Then it tries to initialize the scanner...it hangs up on validating and then I have to exit the client causing me to start all over again. I have rebooted the entire system 3 times now. I am gonna try and just scan this case for simple copings on the Multi-Die plate and see if I can get it to work that way. I am sure I will be told that once I pay the $1000 to upgrade the memory for my scanner then it will fix this problem.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
we run into this with our 5 series from time to time
this is what we were insturcted to do from Grant Day
try reducing the scan field or point of intrest region on the arch scan

hope this helps

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at CMC. After rebooting again, I used the multi-die plate and just scanned for simple copings...that worked.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
What I still don't understand, is why there isn't some kind of a save function for this scanner. Is it that way with all scanners? I have found my DWOS to be too unstable to trust that nothing will go wrong on big cases. I lost almost 2 hours today. Luckily the errors that I got happened in the middle of the entire scan process and not at the end.

J

jumar

Reaction score
What I still don't understand, is why there isn't some kind of a save function for this scanner.
Brett, you can right click on your arch, antagonist or occlusion key scan and select "Export Scan" at any time. Then you can reload these scan files by selecting "Use 3D scan files" when restarting the scan. You will only need to rescan the preps. This is currently the only way to "save" your work while scanning.

J

Jolly

Reaction score
Brett, you can right click on your arch, antagonist or occlusion key scan
Gentleman, please excuse me my ignorance, but could you please explain to me what the occlusion key is?

C

cos

Reaction score
I use the DWOS 3 Series. I am trying to scan a 6 unit case and I keep getting an error that says something like it can't "mesh cloud points?" I have twice had to restart the case. Why can't I save the initial scan of the arch so I don't have to start completely over? This reminds me of college where you would be typing a paper on a PC and if you forgot to save and the power went out, you were SOL. Are all scanners this way?

Check DWClientTmp folder, all files from last scan saved there.

B

Buried1999

Reaction score
Occlusion Key is the name given by Dental Wings to the "reference scan" (which can be found on almost all intra/extra oral scanners) that identifies the position of upper/lower jaws. In Dental Wings, using the occlusion key you need to make a 3-point registration in order to find the right positon of both jaws in the 3D space. As far as I know, in some industrial softwares it's also possible to make n-point (multiple) registrations.

Top Bottom