What's this firing mat, and is it any good?

P

Pictodent-SW18

Reaction score
Hi DLN,

I stumbled across these fibre mats for the porcelain furnace but can't remember where I saw them or where to get them, are they any good compared to the usual pin+firing paste? Thanks!

Attachments

• Mat.JPG
    Mat.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive had some of those that completely discolored black and turned the crown brownish black, not sure why that happened, but you might want to run it on a few firings with no crowns first.. I will say, if you put a crown on it with glaze, the fibers will fire to the glaze, Im not sure exactly what these are for other than firing porcelain if there isnt any near the margins.. I put my ti base removals on these becase it doesnt get high enough to melt the glaze.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
keystone makes the "pillow" thingies. (thats a technical term)
not quite the same as the fibers, but similar

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
ah yes, i have those here too.

i try to avoid using these things. as @Affinity mentioned, the fibers stick to anything thats "wet" when firing. so no stain or glaze fires.

i went to using peg putty instead as often as possible.
lol...that's why I still have a box of it left. Yep, peg putty, or on the wire peg thingies :) (those color coded ones) or the honeycomb tray itself.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I posted a picture years ago of the first crown I fired on one of these pillows, it was black as soot. EDIT ok I found it.. hope this doesnt happen to your rush single central View attachment 28992

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I posted a picture years ago of the first crown I fired on one of these pillows, it was black as soot. EDIT ok I found it.. hope this doesnt happen to your rush single central View attachment 28992
holy crap! was it the first time it was fired? (not the crown, the fiber)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I remember we used them when I worked for my uncle, I sent the last one I had to Tayeb. We never had a problem with anything turning black but I don’t remember who made the ones we used.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah I think it was just a porcelain firing, first use.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I remember using a similar material with some bondo back in high school to repair some rust
on the fender of a Rambler.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I remember using a similar material with some bondo back in high school to repair some rust
on the fender of a Rambler.
That or use it for a small hole in a wall with spackle over it. (the hole came from throwing a case that's driving you nuts across the room and hitting the wall)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That or use it for a small hole in a wall with spackle over it. (the hole came from throwing a case that's driving you nuts across the room and hitting the wall)
That was me on Friday. That case fought against me all the way out the door.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi DLN,

I stumbled across these fibre mats for the porcelain furnace but can't remember where I saw them or where to get them, are they any good compared to the usual pin+firing paste? Thanks!
Typically crowns fire Way low, pathetic. Need to elevate from the surface substantially to get correct firing results. Found this out with an all on 4 case years ago, built up facials and fired...looked like Icing Sugar coming down and you can imagine my thoughts 😱😭😱🙄 All that was required was to elevate away from the tray and actually get closer to where the thermocouple actually reads temperature. Hope this helps as the tray/ liner rob your units desired temperature.

Top Bottom