What to do?

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Last month I did a case involving a pfz crown on top of a zirconia abutment with ti base. It was not cemented until this morning and now I got a call that the porcelain chipped on the incisal edge. 3 hours after the patient left the office. The incisal was thin because the patient insisted on it The dentist used permanent cement and can't remove the crown without destroying it. He's going to remove it by drilling an access hole on the lingual of the crown and remove it as if it was a screw retained case.

Any ideas on how I can remove the pfz crown from the zirconia abutment? Anybody try baking porcelain to a ti base zirconia abutment in the furnace? I'm guessing the adhesive holding the zirconia abutment to the ti base would come out. I'm just thinking what I could do to avoid remaking this case.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Sad thing is that he will destroy the zi abutment when he try's to do endo to access the screw,.

Its total do over, I would do full contour ling all the way up to the insical edge to protect the dimension the patient requests and just layer the facial. No way to get the access hole ling and do a screw retained?

Separating things to try and salvage the abutment is easy but not knowing if there is a micro fracture from all of this that can and will propagate to full catastrophic failure is a highly likely.

I would explain the risks, also don't run the Ti base in the oven you will damage its precision.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Thanks John! Everything you say is what I'm afraid of. I'm going to go see the dentist soon and tell him the bad news. The patient really loved her new crown too.