Waxing thickness

F

ferndale56

Reaction score
I have a question for all of you waxers and metal finishers. What thickness do you wax and cast, let's say, non precious alloy? What thickness is your final coping, and at what thickness do you cast? The real question is...At what thinness do you start getting problems with miscasts?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
There are definitely a million other variables that will result in miscasts. The thickness of your wax is probably not one of them. Back in the old days I would wax my units and spend a lot of time metal finishing them as I waxed them quickly. These days, i will wax to finish. You can build a wax coping .03 thick everywhere and it will cast in Non or Precious. If you do you have problems casting thin wax. I would pay more attention to your spruing, investing, burning, casting...
good luck!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
0.05 mm's for base metals and 0.03 mm for noble/high noble alloys. However, that's the minimum and I don't think I ever made a coping that the entire thing was that thickness because as a waxer/finisher you have to always give support for the porcelain, that should always be the waxer/finisher's main objective.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I agree with the Gladiator, unless you enjoy metal finishing.. Np can be easily cast .2 -.3 without problems if you have good techniques . Noble can be cast .3-.4 without problems ....under .3 can lead to miscasts.
Its all about your techniques... I usually have one single miscast about 4 times a year,,(coping) never 2 crowns in the same ring.....but I did when I was younger and had a short attention span on fine details .
If your having to use np.. wax a practice coping an even .2 it will cast if you know what your doing.. Make sure the sharp corners are not transparent in you wax...

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
I have casted non precious as thin as .2mm like marcusthegladiator sayed the temp of the furnace and the right stage of the molten aloy is critical for having nice casting if this are not right the .5 wil give you a miss cast.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
A metals stiffness is directly proportional to its thickness, so even for NP if it's too thin it will flex causing your ceramic to crack or delaminate.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
A metals stiffness is directly proportional to its thickness, so even for NP if it's too thin it will flex causing your ceramic to crack or delaminate.

yep ill 2nd that, forget about trying to do ceramic work on .2 np copings. you WILL have problems when it comes to the ceramics.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
How many copings are you casting in a 100g ring?

C

charles007

Reaction score

To be very clear, the facials, buccals, occlusal areas were as thin as .2 and somtimes .1 in spots with NP. These were not thimble coping with tons of porcelain like some may think.
My remakes with pfms has never been more than 5 singles per year total......believe it or not... and I add wings to my posteriors.. guess what these are !
To think you can't use np at .2 is bs...Would I use Np again,, I hope not, unless its milled. And not all NP are the same to be fair.
I've used Noble very thin also, finished to .2 and cast .3-.4 for over 30 years years without problems.. Its all about following directions using strict guidelines in fabricating pfms, emax or using zirconia correctly, and hating metal finishing...
If anyone wants to have a cast off with me, I bet I can cast as thin as anyone half my age using any alloy.... and without porosity..
Its Fri and I feel froggie

Anyone want to take any bets now ? :whoo:

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
any alloy i use i can wax and cast at .2mm-.3mm
of course this doesnt take into account buildups to support porcelain

not only is waxing properly key, but spruing and casting as well

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
.2-.3, Why cast thicker? Np is less dense than noble, high noble. Change spring in your casting machine on a regular basis, give it a extra wind and .2-.3 thickness will become routine.

Last edited: