Wax milling issue with Roland

P

puigari

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been following the forum for a while and got a lot of good information. Thank you all for that.
I have an issue with milling wax. The occlusion is too thin. It comes out 0.2 when it is supposed to be 0.5mm. If anyone had similar experience or solution I will greatly appreciate.

Daniel Lee

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Pull your spindle up a little with your hand, or push down on fixture to calibrate the Roland.

( I am joking, but not really )

P

puigari

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried that and it worked.
(Not really, lol)

Andrew@KillianDental

Andrew@KillianDental

Reaction score
When going to select a strategy is the tool configuration you select the same measurements as the tool you use? I had an issue with that when i switched my diamond tools over but it kept hitting the walls of the zirconia so kind of a different problem. Is the machine calibrated correctly? and last thought, Is the Tool placed in its ring at the proper length according to the high tech white plastic measuring/placement tool?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have the same thing with wax. I'll have minimal thickness at .5, measure it within exocad showing .5, then mill it out and it will be .1 or .2mm. I checked and all tools appear entered in Sum3D correct etc.? We just go back and add with a waxer where it appears thin. .......

technician

technician

Reaction score
Does it fit when finished in wax?
If it does I think it could be some wrong parameters in your CAD program.
Can you show a screenshot of your CAD parameters for wax?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
weird i have never run into any of these problems

P

puigari

Reaction score
Yes, It fits very well. It's only the occlusion that comes out about 0.3 mm thinner.
I have milled the same stl file from other machine and it had right thickness.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Just make sure to enforce the min thickness to .5. Maybe your wax was thin? Did you measure your wax before sending it out for scan? I have had plenty of wax scan under .5mm directly from other labs.

G

Gabriel

Reaction score
I think you should check if the machine is properly calibrated. If the same file came out ok from another machine, then it should be clear that the Roland needs calibration.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
check your tool length against the recorded values for your milling strategy. if this has been an issue for a long time then in fact you may not be using the correct strategy, or you were given the wrong information re your tool length.

if this has arisen with a change of tool brands, make sure the length is as they claim.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That answer does not makes any sense.

In the CAM, if you had you tool length at 1mm or 1000mm, it would not make a difference in thickness of the part.

This measurement is only used for collision avoidance by CAM.

The CNC mill wil zero the tool on the tool probe.

0.0-Z axis will always be the same physical position (end of tool) when the CAM instructs the tool to go to that coordinate with all tools if the mill is calibrated correctly, no matter how long they are in the mill or in the CAM. Always. (OK, well we can change parameters in the CAM to actually cut into the part, but this would be in all axis, and not just the Z)

I think you need to spend some more time with CAM and machines to begin to understand what is happening. You are very cornfused. Trust me.

Changing tools manufactures or tool length would have absolutly no effect on the thickness of the part.
I promise you.

Daniel, you are in Cali? I think I have been to your lab. You remember me? Wasted a day there trying to get you to buy some quality CAM to open your Lava mill. You would not have this probelem using 2000lb German CNC mill. If it is you, then I think you bought some weird CAM and a Roland now eh? (We already talked about this on phone). It is a bummer you did not contact me before making that purchase decision. Bad choice. What do you do with your Lava mill now?? I had offered to buy it many times, but now is too late. I doubt you will ever get what I was offering you. (Same with Mark Jackson and many many others).

They just have a great mill with full-automation in the corner collecting dust. I really don't understand it??

Scott

Last edited:
Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Same here.. Lot of customers make wrong choice due to not understand real things

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a thought.....

Some milling wax is very flexible.

The flutes on a tool can pull, or push the material. Depends on if you are downmilling, or climbmilling.

I may suggest doing the final interal finishing in a counter-clockwise (Anti-clockwise for Euros).

This is downmilling. This will push material away from tool on the X-Y ever-so-slightly due the direction the flutes are working against the material.

* When you cut the final internal spiral inside a unit in a clockwise motion, this is climbmilling. This will try to pull the part towards the tool.

Usually this is an X and Y force (lateral),and not a Z.

Some wax pucks warp pretty easily during milling due to internal stresses in the material. All solid wax has this happen.

Leave a milled wax puck laying around for years, and you will watch it go to egg-shape and bend and twist as it goes up and down temps over the months/years releasing some of this internal stress. It really is a crappy material to mill for thin copings. You literally could watch it move and warp during milling of a large bridge after the surrounding wax has been milled away.

But, Probably this OP has a mill that has been knocked out of calibration of the Z. Why? Who knows.
It is a flimsy machine that also has a hard time holding calibration. There is no other Dental mill quite as flimsy. This mill is the worst out there, by far. Hands down. No comparison.

I had One and spend many many weeks/months try to calibrate One. Got rid of it ASAP. Very frustrating.

Have you tried the Green wax from Machinablewax.com ? NOT the BLue!! Blue looks pretty, but sucks for milling Dental. Too sticky and soft/flexible. It is good for large, thick objects for casting in foundary. It melts faster, cleaner, and at lower temps for burn-out in Gypsum investments that cannot go up to 1500F. We really don't have this issue as most of us use high-heat investment. This Blue from machinable wax may be different from other sources of wax, but it seems many companys are selling the CNC waxes are getting it from same place?

Scotty

Last edited:
P

PinAn

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been following the forum for a while and got a lot of good information. Thank you all for that.
I have an issue with milling wax. The occlusion is too thin. It comes out 0.2 when it is supposed to be 0.5mm. If anyone had similar experience or solution I will greatly appreciate.

Daniel Lee
I think is the measurement issue. I have fix this kind of problem with my Vhf.
so the easiest way is call your local dealer

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
The specific problem would be that the "work-offset" for the Z is incorrect.

All Five axis have a "work-offset" parameter in your mill's software that defines the exact center of the material and the centerline of the rotary axii.

X-0, Y-0, Z-0, A-0, B-0 should be the exact center of your raw stock (disk)

Sounds like you have at least the Z-axis incorrect. A little too low.

Requires re-calibration of the mill.