Need help with our Roland DWX-50

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so we have come across an issue with our Roland DWX-50 milling machine. So the other day, while milling a basic 3 unit bridge in Zirconia, I noticed when the spindle box moved along the rails there is a loud "clunking","clicking" noise coming from the spindle box by the rails as if its getting held up by something on the rail. I tried milling in other materials and cleaned machine really well, and lubed the rails like you are supposed too, but the noise is still happening and it only happens when the spindle gets over the work piece, so right about in the middle of the rails is where the noise happens, and it is now causing our units to mill out really rough. I have always kept up on the routine maintenance on the machine and have kept rails clean and lubed. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem, because our machine is longer under warranty, so I was planning on starting to take things apart to try and access the rails by taking of the spindle box, but looks like it might be tricky so if anyone has any information that could possibly help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
There are guide wheels with rolller bearings that the X axis assembly travels on. Chances are there is either a build up of debris in them, the wheels have become chipped or broken, or the bearings are needing to be replaced.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
Ok thx for the info . That's what I thought might be the problem but wanted to get some feedback to make sure. But I am diving in and starting the disassembling. Lol

C

Cornerstone

Reaction score
Just found this thread. I've just encountered this same problem. I had my dwx50 tuned up by Roland about 5 months ago. Of course there is a 90 day warrantee that has expired. I would assume that part of the tune up would be replacing the bearings.

Do you think this is something I can tackle or do I call roland to see what the repair cost is? I wish I had a backup mill. So far it's still milling okay but how long will that last?..

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so we have come across an issue with our Roland DWX-50 milling machine. So the other day, while milling a basic 3 unit bridge in Zirconia, I noticed when the spindle box moved along the rails there is a loud "clunking","clicking" noise coming from the spindle box by the rails as if its getting held up by something on the rail. I tried milling in other materials and cleaned machine really well, and lubed the rails like you are supposed too, but the noise is still happening and it only happens when the spindle gets over the work piece, so right about in the middle of the rails is where the noise happens, and it is now causing our units to mill out really rough. I have always kept up on the routine maintenance on the machine and have kept rails clean and lubed. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem, because our machine is longer under warranty, so I was planning on starting to take things apart to try and access the rails by taking of the spindle box, but looks like it might be tricky so if anyone has any information that could possibly help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Call Roland they come to your lab and redo the whole machine for about $3500 with warranty. It happens to a friend of mine and the sound was the axes wire getting stripper from the protector. It is very tricky as I watch him do it. It took about 6 hours to do the x y and z axes.

C

Cornerstone

Reaction score
I just paid them 3500 5 months ago..... Warranty is expired

T

thedaveinboise

Reaction score
Hello DLN! Reading through these posts I have similar situation. Very disappointed in the response we received from Roland. Six months ago we had both our
DWX 50's refurbished by Roland. Didn't have any serious problems with mills, the clicking sounds and lines on crowns didn't happen for couple years after running mills. But after taking them apart and replacing parts myself a couple times after first couple of years we had them, thought we could get few more years out of them with this refurbishment. Changing out the cable and bearings was fairly simple, but getting time to do work while keeping mills going was tough. Roland came out serviced them, granted was kind of spendy, but needed to be done so we wouldn't have anymore of the problems we were having. Tech was good, got them all done and we were milling again, no issues. Just a few weeks back, clicking on the x-axis began happening. Called Roland and let them know what was happening, I was aware of the three month warranty, but always how it is, something happens just when warranty goes out! They got back and said nothing they could do since warranty was out. Explained didn't have any issues for a couple years when mills were new, but only five months and we have issues. They sent us a quote to have work done, was ridiculous amount, but they offered a gracious 20% off parts. How kind of them. Anyhow wanted to let DLN peeps be aware of what happened with us so you all know what may happen if you decide for refurbishment for DWX 50 mills and you have issues. Thanks Roland, big help.

Top Bottom