Venting About Value

T

tonester

Reaction score
Recent case over previous seated titanium abutment. This is Emax porcelain over a zirconia coping with a full zirconia lingual as per dr.'s request. Patient did not want gingval colored ceramic and that is where I lost it on the value. They also did not want a darkened neck faking a root form.

I'm content with color of incisal 1/2 but lost it in gingival 1/2. Had a hard time fighting grey abutment and tissue. This patient was pleased but it bothers me when it is not perfect. Actually on this case the lower value is less detectable in person.

Anyways, just venting because I run into this situation a lot with matching a single unit over an impant that I inherit and don't fab my own abutment. Value can be my nemisis.

Any suggestions?
IMG_0393.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You hit a home run, move on to the next case!

We are currently working on a project for anodizing Ti for custom abutments. Just in the beginning stages of experimentation but it sure could help on cases like this.

Can you imagine a pink Ti abutment deep in the tissue what would that do to help tone down the low value. How about a golden color to mimic type 3 gold? Lots of tricks to fool the eye, not sure how successful this little experiment will be but some of the test parts are really coming out sweet. Its all an experiment for now.

Wish there were more hours in the day or less external obligations to make all my ideas come to life.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Looks great to me. You have no control over the color that bleeds through the tissue. A zirconia abutment or even, as John said, a Pink colored abutment would help, but this looks very nice

T

tonester

Reaction score
You hit a home run, move on to the next case!

Can you imagine a pink Ti abutment deep in the tissue what would that do to help tone down the low value. How about a golden color to mimic type 3 gold? Lots of tricks to fool the eye, not sure how successful this little experiment will be but some of the test parts are really coming out sweet. Its all an experiment for now.

John,
Awesome. Can't wait. No pressure but think you can have that experiment finalized and into production in a week, I'm going to a wedding, then out of the country, and I'll need that now, but no corners cut, because I need it perfect, but fast.

Sound familiar?

Keep up the innovating and thanks!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
They didn't say you couldn't use pink stain.

Sometimes I will add a small amount of pink stain in situations like this which can lower the value while blending into the tissue as well.

Was this a friggin' stock abutment?

T

tonester

Reaction score
They didn't say you couldn't use pink stain.

IMG_0392.jpgWas this a friggin' stock abutment?

This is the abutment. I received a traditional impression and created a traditional die.

Surgeon or doc adjusted it with a chainsaw???
IMG_0392.jpg

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
You did a good job !! As John said, "move on"!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Nicely done, celebrate with a drink(s) and forget about it.

T

tonester

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We're/techs all tortured souls and our own worst critics. Pink stain is good advice, i shy away when they refuse pink porcealin but I agree and think i should use more.

Again i appreciate the suggestions. Lot of talent on this site!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I think you're being way too hard on yourself. Given the limitations of the situation that was presented to you, the outcome far exceeds expectations.
Pat yourself on the back for once.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Nice results. Did you get it in one try?

That gin color look is often the nature of zir crowns. They are like pfms with the opaque cores.

It probably looks better by eye because you dont have the flash lighting it up.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Looks like he prepped it after he screwed it in.Is that why the margin is at tissue level?

T

tonester

Reaction score
Al,
I got the top 1/2 in the first try but reworked the bottom 1/2 and it got worse, so I fixed and stopped. Do you think emax press would have been better or just marginally better. If so Lt?

I received an impression and I don't know when or who or how many docs were involved in this abutment. It was just model, die, and regular c & b as usual.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I dont think emax would have been any better.

You could have brought the height of contour out like it is on 7. That would help to cover the frame where it is thin right at the margin?