Titanium Implant Bars

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I'e noticed Ti overdenture bars aren't highly polished as compared to a Au bar. Do you guys concur, and if so; how and what are you using to achieve a high shine?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I'e noticed Ti overdenture bars aren't highly polished as compared to a Au bar. Do you guys concur, and if so; how and what are you using to achieve a high shine?

Titanium is a reactive metal, which means it has a self healing alpha coat. As soon as you grind it, or polish it, the alpha coat will begin to develop. The layer will vary in thickness from 500 to 1000 angstrom depending upon the amount of oxygen in the billet. The oxide is not visible to the naked eye at room temperature, but you will see the light waves being interupted rather than being reflected.

The finish you see on a titanium bar is about as good as it gets.

toothdesigner

toothdesigner

Reaction score
the secret compound is chrometal burnishing agent#2 from yates motloid green color works awsome with a #11 stiff brush

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

My Ti bars shine like a mirror,

We also use the green chrome polish with a Robinson brush, followed by a dead soft baby muslin buff.

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
Brassler has some hard silicone polish wheels, mine are purple, gives a good gloss prior to the Motloid. BBC seems to gum up for me.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Boogie Oxidation Reaction?.

Sounds like Mark has been up to see the Mothership before.

What did they tell you about Adamantium, or Weapon-X?

[YOUTUBE]ClF3HsPSHik[/YOUTUBE]

I use Mothers Mag&Aluminum polish from Pep Boys.

(White lid)

a198.173.64.150_images_mothers_MothersRound.jpg
a198.173.64.150_images_mothers_MothersRound.jpg

Last edited:
lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I can confirm that my lab guy can shine my Nobel manufactured (Ti Alloy, not CP, mind you) to high shine as well - like a mirror. Wish I had taken photo.
BTW - since we are on implants - I received a mail from Astra saying that, barring regulatory obstacles I assume, Dentsply will be buying Astra Tech for like 1.8 billion,
with cash. Talk about big corporations . . . maybe the forum wants to sign a petition
or something . . .
LCM

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Boogie Oxidation Reaction?.

Sounds like Mark has been up to see the Mothership before.

Just keepin it real Scott. If you know the right terminology, you might as well use it. People around here don't need things dummied down.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Actually that alpha coat is important when you apply porcelain to Titanium. It's only a minute or two from sandblasting before that alpha coat becomes too much and your porcelain will not be able to bond to the titanium and end up delaminating. This was a huge issue addressed by the porcelain (especially GC) manufacturers using opaquing titanium.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
We use grade 2 medical Ti disks for milled bars, copings, bridges, abutments and so on and so on, really nice stuff. Layer it with GC The Lab Guy says a min or two but we have been sandblasting then steam cleaning then bench resting for five min as per instructions then using the GC Ti bonder, 6 years on and all is well, a couple of days ago we did a full arch upper and it turned out great. On my third all on four this week and picking up another two in the morn. Ti I love it, Oh yeh it shines like a dream as well.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Anyone tried the ?Annodized/pink bar from Cagenix? There seemed to
be a blog on line from some Dentoo, but need sign in to read it.
That link in Sioux fall seemed be broken link . . .
LCM

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
LCM

We did one just so I could get a look at the finish on it. The effect is gotten using a power supply and a charged bath of trisodiumphosphate. We used to do it here, but could never get two parts to come out exactly the same color.

Nice effect that we are trying to duplicate ourselves. may need to bust out for better equipment.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
We did one just so I could get a look at the finish on it. The effect is gotten using a power supply and a charged bath of trisodiumphosphate. We used to do it here, but could never get two parts to come out exactly the same color.

Nice effect that we are trying to duplicate ourselves. may need to bust out for better equipment.

Go ahead on big poppa!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
LCM

LCM, I remember using that link but it took me to a dental practice. I edited it today as SPAM.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How many micron is the coating? Is the interface coated and the CAD accounts for this dimension when milling? Interface not coated? I have seen the bars but I have not looked into it. I would love to anodize rather than Opaque would be thin, resulting in stronger restoration with more room for acrylic.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
How many micron is the coating? Is the interface coated and the CAD accounts for this dimension when milling? Interface not coated? I have seen the bars but I have not looked into it. I would love to anodize rather than Opaque would be thin, resulting in stronger restoration with more room for acrylic.

The process is not a coating, but a controlled chemical oxidation. It adds no measurable material.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

I did some homework last night on anodizing Ti. I have a new dc regulated power supply coming and I will be experimenting this next week. It seems adjusting time, temp and voltage and surface preparation you can get some very cool effects. I am looking forward to finding a perfect combination to achieve a matte pink color like cagenix has, it seems that will be tough, but a standard shiney pink seems very easy.

Should be fun.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
a standard shiney pink seems very easy.

Should be fun.

Keep us posted. We putzed with it for months and gave up. We hoped to have a pink and a gold color, but we could never get uniform, consistent results from one part to the next. If you can live with the variables (and the corrective action needed to fix the ones that don't turn out right) you'll have a winner on your hands.

I've been in contact with a consultant to build us a proper device for this treatment.

J

jkivimaki

Reaction score
I have done a few Ti bars and I have 3 of them on my bench now. I do not cast them. I send them to Hick dental in MI and he laser welds them and shines them for me. I dont know what he does I have never asked but they come back very shinny.

I do like Marks answer, even if I had to bust out my chem101 text book. lol