Teeth sensitivity with Zirconia crowns..??

• Thread starter Carlos Robayo CDT
  • Start date
C

Carlos Robayo CDT

Reaction score
Good morning DLN family.. any clinicians reporting that their patients are complaining about tooth sensitivity with Zirconia crowns over eMax or PFM, not just one patient though.. IMO is related to the way my doctor is prepping the tooth surface before cementation but I thought I ask just in case you have had the same comments...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Which adhesive are your clinicians using?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i can speak from first hand experience.

when i had two zirconia crowns placed on teeth that had amalgam fillings, there was temperature sensitivity for about 6 months. i have since come to learn that indeed there would be some sensitivity because the teeth they were put on were not necrotic and they needed time to adjust post trauma. after that period though, sensitivity decreased to the point i dont feel it anymore.

C

Carlos Robayo CDT

Reaction score
i can speak from first hand experience.

when i had two zirconia crowns placed on teeth that had amalgam fillings, there was temperature sensitivity for about 6 months. i have since come to learn that indeed there would be some sensitivity because the teeth they were put on were not necrotic and they needed time to adjust post trauma. after that period though, sensitivity decreased to the point i dont feel it anymore.
Thanks for that info.. I'll keep that in mind

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Good morning DLN family.. any clinicians reporting that their patients are complaining about tooth sensitivity with Zirconia crowns over eMax or PFM, not just one patient though.. IMO is related to the way my doctor is prepping the tooth surface before cementation but I thought I ask just in case you have had the same comments...

Could be occlusion-related. It's easy for doctors to get lazy with occlusal adjustments with a material like FCZ if they're not used to working with it. Off-axis loads and contacts in excursions can result in sensitivity and pain. i.e. it's not the zirconia.

Top Bottom