Sum3d question

R

Rune

Reaction score
Hi!

Hopefully one of the experienced sum3d users can answer my questions

When milling link abutments and implant bridges, sometimes the toolshaft/flange collides with the margin edge in the fine drilling program. I can see this when i run sim in sum3d. It always happens in the end of the program while the tool goes upp and down several times.
Any advice?
Can i edit the cam file in some way? and remove ex. line 14320-14325?

Any advice apreciated!

R

Rune

Reaction score
Hi Cadfan!

Thanks! It is turned on...
What about the options under drilling?
It always happens in the end of the fine drilling program while the mill run up and down z-axis rapidly.
It's strange that the automatic collision control doesn't fetch it.

I can see it in sim, and the report says Collision : collision between tool and workpiece range: 0.315360 - 0.473040

The z-axis up and down long stroke movement also varies from hole to hole. Sometimes 5 strokes, other times 40 strokes. It's only happening on drilling. Is this normal?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You might need tools with longer reach...

It happened to me a few times trying to drill deep holes...I ended up getting long tools...couldn't tweak the CAM to avoid chipping...it seems to me that drilling works better if the hole is more parallel to the vertical axis for some reason...you could try a thicker blank and position the hole as vertical as possible. ..

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Your tool and other components may not be measured and defined correct

and/or flaw in sum3d....? Who knows?

You really have to show everything to someone to see the entire picture.

The CAM file, the part CAD file, your tools and equipment files, etc.. all pulled out from your software.

It takes time, but this is the correct way to track down a problem in CAM.

Link motions (shown in Yellow color paths in simulation) are sometimes a mystery to me and we have had only One small issue over a year ago.

Link motions are not when tool is cutting, but rather when tool jumps out of One pocket and goes to next area/pocket to mill.

You can define a clearance value of how high the tool retracts and goes over your part or stock.

Maybe you need to increase this distance? There is another retraction parameter/value that could be written into your machine file within sum3d.

Codes for customization at very bottom of your machine .arl file.....edit machine in sum3d.....copy your codes for customization here please....

This also has some sort of Z-retraction distance before traverse movement on the X or Y.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Cadfan!

Thanks! It is turned on...
What about the options under drilling?
It always happens in the end of the fine drilling program while the mill run up and down z-axis rapidly.
It's strange that the automatic collision control doesn't fetch it.

I can see it in sim, and the report says Collision : collision between tool and workpiece range: 0.315360 - 0.473040

The z-axis up and down long stroke movement also varies from hole to hole. Sometimes 5 strokes, other times 40 strokes. It's only happening on drilling. Is this normal?

a teamviewer session is needed to find your problem.

For sure!

You may not get very far on this forum trying to solve problem this way.

Too many variables to cover One-by-One.

You can send me a Nine digit code and password for teamviewer if you want.

We can find your problem very quickly.

My employee, "Brad" has a very large knowledge of the drilling operations and all the problems that could arise along with it.

Scott

R

Rune

Reaction score
Thanks!

I thankfully axept your offer ***. Will have to plan a time another day. it's almost 22.00 here :) and i'm at home.
Longer tools would help for sure, but i'm a noob on sum3d. Currently its drilling holes with the original 1mm tool, and it is the flange who crashes with the margin.
Was so anoyed earlyer today that i was planning to "make" the flange thinner on the tool, but then i started to think about tool tolerance etc :)

edit: Bad english

Last edited:
MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Hi!

Hopefully one of the experienced sum3d users can answer my questions

When milling link abutments and implant bridges, sometimes the toolshaft/flange collides with the margin edge in the fine drilling program. I can see this when i run sim in sum3d. It always happens in the end of the program while the tool goes upp and down several times.
Any advice?
Can i edit the cam file in some way? and remove ex. line 14320-14325?

Any advice apreciated!

Hi Rune,

This is occurring because the value that has been setup for the tool's extension below the shank is longer than the physical tool actually is (the two don't match up). Have you changed tools lately? If so, the new tools will need to be added into your library and integrated into the strategy - otherwise, collision protection will not be accurate.

Basically what is happening is that the CAM thinks it has more clearance / tool reach so it generates a deeper toolpath. Because of the mismatch of the tool geometry in the CAM and the physical tool the CAM does not detect any collisions, but when you mill it there is a collision.

The solution would be to check your tools / components that you have setup in the strategy against the physical measurements you can take of the tool. You'll probably find that the tool length is actually shorter than what has been setup in your CAM. My suggestion about creating tools is that when you're uncertain, always make your tool extension below the shank shorter in the CAM. This will ensure that you will always avoid collisions when the tool is plunging into the inter-proximal areas during finishing because the CAM will always give extra clearance for the tool. Trying to place the exact length of your tool in the CAM is not always the best method because if there are even tiny discrepancies in the manufacturing process of the tool that made it shorter than normal, you will encounter the results that you are experiencing.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hi mike. I think maybe he could have a different problem? As you know drilling operations look at raw curves maybe in a different way. He mentions that he can see the collision and also sum 3d reports of a collision ......?

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Hi mike. I think maybe he could have a different problem? As you know drilling operations look at raw curves maybe in a different way. He mentions that he can see the collision and also sum 3d reports of a collision ......?

That could be as well - drilling operations will ignore collisions if they're setup to drill to an "extra-depth".

You could look under the machining parameters and make sure "Hole Extra-Depth" is set to 0.

upload_2014-8-25_18-55-47.png

I'd be curious to see what you guys find - let me know if I can be of assistance.

- Mike

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-25_18-55-45.png
    upload_2014-8-25_18-55-45.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Top Bottom