Straumann v. NT Trading & Glidewell?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Here is the deal. NT has agreed to pull back Straumann interface inventory from just U.S distribution. There is no patent in Canada. As a result, all distributors can still sell these parts into Canada.
There is a strong believe at Straumann, that after market parts result in more failures. Not sure if there is any data around this but the patient nor the lab is going to get hurt by having Straumann on Straumann.
By supporting S on S all of our pricing to docs will need to go up. If docs don't like it they will or can switch to more economical implant solution. I guess Straumann is up for testing the waters on this one. In my lab I offer both S on S and after market. The vast majority of docs select the more economical path. I expect many dentists will move to a different implants as there is big pricing preasure thoughout the industry. And, there is certainly no shortage of more economical solutions.
Today, Straumann has Viriobase for hybrid abutments and screw retianed crowns. You can outsource titanium CA's to Staumann using 3Shape scan files. There is no Staumann based model work flow that I'm aware of.
That's it for now. I have been in close touch with both Straumann and NT Trading and will continue to do so. At CAP we are now looking at our options to determine best path for our customs and patients. Will keep you posted.

I'm glad you posted that Bob. That is how I am looking at this here in Canada.
I think this will focus more attention on Straumann's inflated prices in the long run and as to why we have opted to offer 3rd party components as an alternative.

I hope Nobel and the other big players see this for what it really is.

My last post was alluding to this as well.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Here is the deal. NT has agreed to pull back Straumann interface inventory from just U.S distribution. There is no patent in Canada. As a result, all distributors can still sell these parts into Canada.
There is a strong believe at Straumann, that after market parts result in more failures. Not sure if there is any data around this but the patient nor the lab is going to get hurt by having Straumann on Straumann.
By supporting S on S all of our pricing to docs will need to go up. If docs don't like it they will or can switch to more economical implant solution. I guess Straumann is up for testing the waters on this one. In my lab I offer both S on S and after market. The vast majority of docs select the more economical path. I expect many dentists will move to a different implants as there is big pricing preasure thoughout the industry. And, there is certainly no shortage of more economical solutions.
Today, Straumann has Viriobase for hybrid abutments and screw retianed crowns. You can outsource titanium CA's to Staumann using 3Shape scan files. There is no Staumann based model work flow that I'm aware of.
That's it for now. I have been in close touch with both Straumann and NT Trading and will continue to do so. At CAP we are now looking at our options to determine best path for our customs and patients. Will keep you posted.

Well that's fine if you live in Canada, but it's no help for those labs and milling centers in the US. The agreement states that they can't be imported to the US:

In an out-of-court settlement, the company acknowledged that Straumann’s patent is valid and enforceable. It also agreed to remove its imitation abutments from the market in the US and to pay for Straumann’s legal costs. nt-trading has also agreed not to permit any third party to sell, market or import the respective products in the US.

With regards to the failure of after market parts, it does happen. But genuine parts fail also....I don't know what the ratios are but I think if the doctor prescribes genuine Straumann parts then I would use them. To many personal-injury commercials on Tv if you know what I mean.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the history books are incorrect about it being corn.
Actually I think history is pretty clear about them growing hemp, the only question is, did they smoke it or just twist it into ropes to hang witches. :D

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We do as Bob states, give the the option, either Tier one or 3rd party, most do not care and put a standing order in (in writing).

I have never seen any 3rd party part cause a failure to any fixture.

Lots of guys offer to buy the new fixture if it does.

Straumann in my opinion just think their market share can allow them to make the rules, patents are always going to have a way around them.

Just look at Niznic :)

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
hehehehe

maybe i should buy tons of straumann stuff, rebrand it Pearlz implants and those in the "know" will still be able to buy NT through canada.

:evil grin:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We do as Bob states, give the the option, either Tier one or 3rd party, most do not care and put a standing order in (in writing).

I have never seen any 3rd party part cause a failure to any fixture.

Lots of guys offer to buy the new fixture if it does.

Straumann in my opinion just think their market share can allow them to make the rules, patents are always going to have a way around them.

Just look at Niznic :)

Does Straumann offer a similar 2-connect or ti base for hybrids and screw retained fcz's John?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Yes and no, they have their version of multi unit abutment and then you have to scan the cap as a prep and manually put the hole to be compliant. They do not have non eng parts available to go straight to the fixture they want to use transmucosal abutments on all multi unit cases.

Its odd because they never had a UCLA for NE and now they do with a screw the size of texas.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
For a company trying to corner their market, they don't offer a lot of solutions for us wee technicians to solve problems.
Let the revolt begin!!!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
For a company trying to corner their market, they don't offer a lot of solutions for us wee technicians to solve problems.
Let the revolt begin!!!
The Floridians are revolting....

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I have 2 clients just recently change to other brands as the straumnann way didnt fit with them .Their view was that if straumann wouldnt support you on warranty because of after market parts they were forced to use because straumann didnt have an option they felt that they wouldnt get support for other things and hense had no confidence in the company and went to others brands.

D

Droned

Reaction score
Yes and no, they have their version of multi unit abutment and then you have to scan the cap as a prep and manually put the hole to be compliant. They do not have non eng parts available to go straight to the fixture they want to use transmucosal abutments on all multi unit cases.

Its odd because they never had a UCLA for NE and now they do with a screw the size of texas.

Hey John,

Not sure about the states but straumann in the UK have released a non engaging variobase abutment which goes into the fixture for their five main platforms. However, I don't believe the corresponding library has been released for use with scan bodies.
They don't look very retentive...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hey John,

Not sure about the states but straumann in the UK have released a non engaging variobase abutment which goes into the fixture for their five main platforms. However, I don't believe the corresponding library has been released for use with scan bodies.
They don't look very retentive...

Yes they are not released here in the US yet and no new library has been released as far as I know.

It makes me smile, just goes to show they are seeing the NEED to offer what they long have said is bad dentistry,

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
So ? is where do I outsource NT scan body file to from exocad to get abutments made???

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
I don't know if anybody paid any attention to what I pointed out earlier. Straumann formally announced that they are way "in the sack" with AG and the Ti- form that you see being cut in the vid is done EXCLUSIVELY with the Ceramill 2 using a new fixture on the A axis(crazy cool). We do it all the time and the blanks carry the Straumann guarantee. Not sure why Bob isn't explaining this but who knows,..maybe he doesn't want to rile everybody up. Anywho, enjoy the movie,...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I cant believe the bull5hit straumann put us thru now this is ok man they grind my interface.