Stain and glaze question

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
The only stain kit in the house is an IPS Empress kit. These are all incisal shades. I know I can make do for the time being. But I'm having trouble staining full zirc crowns with this kit. Considering the milling center we use doesn't have the greatest pre sinter stain products. Anyway, is there some conversion chart from imps empress stains to classic or 3d. This would help our lab produce better looking FCZ. Thx guys
The kit
IPS Empress Universal Shades from Ivoclar Vivadent Inc.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Anyone able to apply stain to the crown without it pulling away from itself?? Any tips would be great, we are getting good results but would like better without the puddling etc. Thank you in advance!!!!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
ooops sorry duplicate

Last edited:
Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Are we talking about staining FC zirconia? If so, and you're willing to spend on a kit try the Zirlux FC stain or the similar kit from Diadem. I found it easy to use and the color seemed pretty good.

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
From the recent Ivoclar Stain and Glaze course I had attended, the instructor was teaching the technique for Emax and Empress Cad restorations. His recommendation was if you have only one stain kit, it should be Emax stains for both, as they are more durable. Their test results found that Empress stains had a degree of solubility in acidic environments, such as citrus suckers, heavy pop drinkers, etc. and would deteriorate in time. Now, I have heard that there are some out there that are using Emax stains for everything going into a porcelain oven and are getting great results, while others are avoiding mixing and matching with different products for GPM. During the discussion about using it on Zi, he suggested breaking the surface tension by rubbing it with dry porcelain powder or lightly buzzing it with a diamond bur to allow the stain to hold in place. After I smooth out the milling marks and rough contours, I lightly go over it with a low blast of Alox, stain and fire, and more importantly get a good layer of zirconia glaze over it to protect it. FWIW

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
From the recent Ivoclar Stain and Glaze course I had attended, the instructor was teaching the technique for Emax and Empress Cad restorations. His recommendation was if you have only one stain kit, it should be Emax stains for both, as they are more durable. Their test results found that Empress stains had a degree of solubility in acidic environments, such as citrus suckers, heavy pop drinkers, etc. and would deteriorate in time. Now, I have heard that there are some out there that are using Emax stains for everything going into a porcelain oven and are getting great results, while others are avoiding mixing and matching with different products for GPM. During the discussion about using it on Zi, he suggested breaking the surface tension by rubbing it with dry porcelain powder or lightly buzzing it with a diamond bur to allow the stain to hold in place. After I smooth out the milling marks and rough contours, I lightly go over it with a low blast of Alox, stain and fire, and more importantly get a good layer of zirconia glaze over it to protect it. FWIW

We have used the same technique, but I thought I 'd read you aren't supposed to sandblast Zr. In addition it is my understanding that the surface that is milled is smoother and if you alter that, when the glaze wears away do we risk more antagnostic wear?? As far as kits, we tried the Diadem kit and did not see a justifiable difference from the Emax kit. Thanks Again!

user name

user name

Reaction score
I use the Empress stains because I like the colors best, but with the lighter A-range I add some of the e.max #2, and for the C's I add some e.max #3. For any effects with white it just depends...some are essence powder, some inline paste. I also use the inline mahogany for some pit-stains. I just havent found one kit or system that has it all covered.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Bob ,Thankyou for that video . It contains the secret to making FCZ crowns look awsome.