Separating agent for green zirconia units being sintered?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
What's something we can apply to green zirconia to stop parts from sticking if they're in contact in the furnace? "Don't let them touch", I know, but this is a weird case where it's unavoidable-
We're playing around with adding extra support for ZIBs and other very large units that seem to sag or warp across large unsupported spans (or across spans with no thermal sinking to the furnace, the mechanism could go either way),and one option we're trying is using green zirconia supporting parts across those areas, and firing them simultaneously with the ZIB.
I saw one post from 2012 about how they use Pam spray to separate them, but nothing else beyond that. Any tips for something that won't contaminate the part, or negatively impact the appearance?

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Are you actually seeing them stuck together? I've literally stacked zirconia ontop of eachother before (lol dumb I know) and I don't think i've ever seen units stuck together. Usually its the color that gets screwed up for me

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Try to sinter very slowly the long span / full arch stuff, there's a whole thread here somewhere discussing this, including support

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What's something we can apply to green zirconia to stop parts from sticking if they're in contact in the furnace? "Don't let them touch", I know, but this is a weird case where it's unavoidable-
We're playing around with adding extra support for ZIBs and other very large units that seem to sag or warp across large unsupported spans (or across spans with no thermal sinking to the furnace, the mechanism could go either way),and one option we're trying is using green zirconia supporting parts across those areas, and firing them simultaneously with the ZIB.
I saw one post from 2012 about how they use Pam spray to separate them, but nothing else beyond that. Any tips for something that won't contaminate the part, or negatively impact the appearance?
Peg putty?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Are you actually seeing them stuck together? I've literally stacked zirconia ontop of eachother before (lol dumb I know) and I don't think i've ever seen units stuck together. Usually its the color that gets screwed up for me
Myself, no, but everybody in the lab just takes it on faith that they'll end up bonded together. I should probably just run a test case and see first before worrying too much about this, yeah.

Try to sinter very slowly the long span / full arch stuff, there's a whole thread here somewhere discussing this, including support
Extra-long sintering cycles are probably the one thing I can't swing, we just don't have the free capacity to tie up furnaces with single big units without bottlenecking the rest of our production. Letting things cook for longer would probably solve a lot of my headaches, but alas.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Extra-long sintering cycles are probably the one thing I can't swing, we just don't have the free capacity to tie up furnaces with single big units without bottlenecking the rest of our production. Letting things cook for longer would probably solve a lot of my headaches, but alas.
Buying a dedicated furnace is not a big investment if it saves you from internal remakes and wasted time Stupid

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The only way they could bond together is if there were some sort of mechanical lock, like how beads get stuck in the anatomy. You could also just make a sintered pad out of leftover puck chunk. The rim of the puck is smooth and like a rainbow shape, fire it and leave it in there. Theres always faster ways but not always better ways.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
4 min/ sec up 4 min/ sec down. No need for separating elements as all will shrink away in the predetermined shrinkage factor. Remember everything gets smaller by process. Maybe I'm not reading this right though...

Top Bottom