Screw retained full zirconia

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
This was our first try at something like this.

model
aimg811.imageshack.us_img811_8918_60167409.jpg
ready for milling
aimg534.imageshack.us_img534_7546_93399392.jpg
ready for sintering
17808961.jpg

out of the sintering oven
aimg7.imageshack.us_img7_9955_82708257.jpg
and done
aimg163.imageshack.us_img163_148_44162176.jpg

Sorry for bad quality in some of those,it was all taken with my phone :/
I'll post some more pics later.. like.. next year :)

Happy new year!!!
aimg811.imageshack.us_img811_8918_60167409.jpg aimg534.imageshack.us_img534_7546_93399392.jpg aimg7.imageshack.us_img7_9955_82708257.jpg aimg163.imageshack.us_img163_148_44162176.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Cool case what did you use to make your model. Is that from a wax up? A denture?

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
Hi Al. Yes it's denture duplicate out of this "Self setting polyurethane composite (50:50)" , its 2 liquid components you mix together and its used to make those round frames the model is glued onto. It's great material to pour,but if you touch it up with burs like we did on mamelons a bit it gets rough underneath.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Look great. How do they clean under it?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
great technical work.

I hope im wrong, but the aesthetics of this in the mouth are gonna look horrid?, same as using FC zirconia on anterior teeth.

Last edited:
brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
Water pick? I don't really know.
And for the aesthetics..I hope we get some pics back from the dentist. :)

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
Look great. How do they clean under it?

exactly !
I've done few similar bridges, hybrid not full zirconia, the patients still complains about cleaning. Although they use super floss, waterpic , . . . But whenever they come to regular check up, horrible stuff with really bad fermented odor will come when the bridge is removed.
Or maybe there's a new invention i haven't heard of.
Happy new year everyone. :)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
First off I want to start this post off by saying its very clean technical work and I for one appreciate you taking the time to share it. As a member here that shares his failures for the betterment of learning I want to share the following thoughts with you in a non judgmental way.

Since no one pointed out the AP spread I will :)

Its so linear, the cantilever is way outside of acceptable. Even if the patient is opposing a full denture that appliance is destined to die. As for cleaning, if the ling was opened up a bit more and the base was a bit more convex it would be perfect. In the maxilla on these big hybrids/fixed bridges its phonetics that can really be problematic. I guarantee when you ask any patient if they would rather lisp OR catch food they will choose catch food every time.

On these big zircon cases getting everything and I mean everything nailed down perfect in the mock up is critical. Can we fix up by adding? Sure but who the heck wants to do that?

Again thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
Just fire away guys, that's why i posted it. :)
The cantilever is a huge problem on this case.. and yes my boss told to the dentist it's a huge risk, and took the case even tho we all know who will be blamed when something goes wrong.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Did you fabricate a temp bridge or did you use the denture?

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
Brutal85, please update us on this one when patient comes for a check up! It is really great work. Did you glaze it only once or several times? Would you tell us which colors you used and where, please?

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
My boss did the incisal and tissue bake ,glazing also. He uses shofu ceramics and used the zirkonzahn's glaze 2 times on this case and he said he wasn't happy with it and should have used the shofu ones.
The zirkon coloring was done by me with prettau liquids A3 (brush strokes on each tooth:cervical 7x,middle 3-5x - bit too much for what we needed); A1 (incisal 1-2x) ;incisal gray (incisal and occlusal 1x);tissue B (1x,this is where i should have used way more). We were going for A2.

@rkm rdt a denture wax setup was used.

Also,I couldn't really get nice pictures of glazed restoration with my phone, the brightness just kills it or something, i could really use your feedback on anteriors.
I have a bunch of pictures and they are all blured/not in focus. :/

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
So I assume your boss baked Enamel/Translucent on top of buccal side, but probably a very thin layer? I saw a few restorations on the internet where tech cut back buccal side quite significantly and bake ceramic on it...

P

paulg100

Reaction score
didnt realize it had layered ceramic, just on labial?,

thought it was just FC zirconia. maybe will look ok after all then.

As for cleaning, i thought the idea with these was to leave something like V shaped notches in the peripheral edge to allow superfloss/water jet access.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Heres a great example of my reservations with this technique.

Great technical work and the end result looks great on the model, but in the mouth :confused:

andreas-pohl - Zirkonzahn GmbH

I think this is without layered ceramic, but it looks exactly how i would expect when using monolithic fc zirconia for the anterior region.

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
The case you linked is indeed horrid.. to us.
Aside the poor shade pick,tanned patient,and a head on flash .It still looks like some layered PFM cases in that shade.. so..
This case could have been way better with minimal layering and another shade..
And when I say way better, I mean acceptable(for us again).. I think the patient was happy.
Karin Engelhart - Zirkonzahn GmbH
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this technique like a blind man.

Top Bottom