scrap gold melt

A

AL1

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good way to heat up and melt gold grindings and scrap to form my own bars?
I dont think a burnout oven gets hot enough if I placed scrap in crucible in oven.
Why do I want to do this, I thought it might be fun and give me a better idea of what I have.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I just use an old crucible and a torch.

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
Yep, old crucible and torch. Thats the easy part the hard part is not getting screwed on your settlement.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I concur. Torch, crucible... dab any slag that rises to the top with a school-type graphite pencil (pulls the old slag away),then a light sprinkle of Borax flux. You end up with a beautiful mirror-ball of reasonably clean gold.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to give it a try.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I have a family member who is a retired jeweler and has given me some tools and things over the years. The ingot mold is pretty cool for making gold wire/rods. Just melt it in the crucible, clean it up with flux and pour into an oiled mold held at a slight angle.
awww.septools.com_images_image_thumb_large_220510.gif

3DLPrint

Reaction score
I have a family member who is a retired jeweler and has given me some tools and things over the years. The ingot mold is pretty cool for making gold wire/rods. Just melt it in the crucible, clean it up with flux and pour into an oiled mold held at a slight angle.

Please do not forget to heat the mold a little otherwise you'll be going to the Emergency Room if there is moisture.

Peter