Root-analog dental implant

K

KKnapp

Reaction score
Has anyone fabricated a crown for a root-analog implant or a custom fabricated implant?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
No, but I've been eagerly keeping an eye out for something in this neighbourhood. Root analog implants are such an obvious improvement over the status quo that i'm holding my breath waiting for the rest of the industry to work that out as well.
If you're encountering an actual RAI in the wild and it wasn't from a study, it's probably from BioImplant, an Austrian outfit that has patented some form of the process- https://bioimplant.at/ So far as I know it's only performed in Austria under this brand, but that might change in the future. Or someone else might take a second swing at it outside Austria, I doubt they have a lock on the entire concept of a root analogue implant, just one particular approach to the root analogue geometry, as I understand it.
Nothing stopping labs from fabricating their own, if they can produce the correct geometry from a scan, which is the tricky part. A 1:1 duplicate does not produce good results, there needs to be relief at certain points to prevent pressure on / fracture of thin bone, and additional material added in other spots to 'nucleate' the osseointegration, is my understanding. It's hard to find detailed information on how to produce the implant geometry. If you happen to find some, please pass it on here, will you?

K

KKnapp

Reaction score
No, but I've been eagerly keeping an eye out for something in this neighbourhood. Root analog implants are such an obvious improvement over the status quo that i'm holding my breath waiting for the rest of the industry to work that out as well.
If you're encountering an actual RAI in the wild and it wasn't from a study, it's probably from BioImplant, an Austrian outfit that has patented some form of the process- https://bioimplant.at/ So far as I know it's only performed in Austria under this brand, but that might change in the future. Or someone else might take a second swing at it outside Austria, I doubt they have a lock on the entire concept of a root analogue implant, just one particular approach to the root analogue geometry, as I understand it.
Nothing stopping labs from fabricating their own, if they can produce the correct geometry from a scan, which is the tricky part. A 1:1 duplicate does not produce good results, there needs to be relief at certain points to prevent pressure on / fracture of thin bone, and additional material added in other spots to 'nucleate' the osseointegration, is my understanding. It's hard to find detailed information on how to produce the implant geometry. If you happen to find some, please pass it on here, will you?
Thank you for the wonderful response and (Bioimplant) reference. There is a company in California developing a RAI, https://www.identicalimplant.com. I haven't encountered a RAI to date, There does not appear to be one approved by the FDA to date. I believe there will soon be some on the market. A RAI seems ideally suited for those cases that have a planned extraction, Where the dentist can have the RAI premade based on the cone beam x-ray (CT) scan. The patient can have the extraction, implant and crown completed in one appointment. Stay tuned...