Rigid External Distraction (RED) System from KLS-Martin

Teofil

Teofil

Reaction score
Hello all
Here something different and exotic. This is the first time I've seen one of these. It is an anchor for a RED II system, it's done in collaboration with clinic for oral and maxillofacial surgery.
This is procedure for cases of maxillary and midface hypoplasias...which looks like this:

img.php
The bones of maxilla are first cut prior insertion of anchorage
appliance which is then connected with a RED II device.

IP65IBRY0O_scan0004.jpg

The screws are then activated to pull the maxilla and stimulate creation of new bone tissue between intentionally separated bones.
It looks really cruel but what can you do with cases like this.
This is an anchor device made by my boss/fellow-technician at work, i just took photos. The bands are (again :rolleyes:) custom made because molars are too short for any kind of prefabricated bands.

more at : http://www.klsmartinusa.com/red.dir/red.html

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
YEOW!!!!
I did a goody once for an extreme case. The doctor just wanted an unusual type of RPE though. This RED is really extreme. Interesting way to fix the problem.
These patients who have bone surgery to allow for movement are always in extreme discomfort. (IT REALLY FRIGIN' HURTS!!!)
The expander I did worked, but, the doctor was the only one who could activate the wierd RPE. It was placed during surgery. Doctor told me every time he touched the patient, the patient was hanging from his arm with both hands in extreme pain dispite pain relievers etc. There was no way the patient would go near the chair if he even thought there were going to be restraints used.
I hope this kind of treatment is quick for these individuals.
Mike.

Teofil

Teofil

Reaction score
How is the external distraction device tolerated by the patient, does it hurt?
The rigid external distraction device (RED) is extremely well tolerated by the patient. This device is lightweight, and there is virtually no discomfort experienced with the titanium fixation screws. It does not hurt the patient and no pain medications are required. This is the same experience reported for decades with the use of a cranial halo with neurosurgical and trauma patients.
I can't believe this.

The patient was discharged from the hospital the morning following surgery and maxillary distraction was begun on the fifth postoperative day at the rate of 1 mm per day. The patient underwent 11 mm of maxillary distraction utilizing RED
16 days??? And 18 months of stabilization period.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Now doesn't that sound like a party!!
Where do I sign up???
I guess there is no danger of burning roots when your moving the WHOLE MAXILLA!!!
Guy I worked on had a median suture surgically split.
These bars to the head....what an added attraction!:saint:
Mike.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Im really enjoying your posts Teofil. Keep them up!

Teofil

Teofil

Reaction score
@Cade, thanks, I'll try to post as much interesting stuff as I can :)

@ Mike, I am not saying that RED is fun and nice to wear. In fact I don't believe it's that painless and convenient to wear. You can see the permanent scars on the second kid's head. But this is an extreme case and if this was (god forbid) my head I would much rather prefer this procedure than living my life without it.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Very true Teofil, me too.
Hard to even imagine having that stuff bolted to your head for a year and a half!!

Top Bottom