Removeable retirement

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Not retiring just yet :) But want to change in the near future. I would like to learn how to digitally design dentures to send to whoever will do the next steps. Basically work from home designing digital dentures on the computer and sending that off. Whether work for myself or someone else I don't care, but is this a viable career choice and where would I get the training if it is?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
you can start with the Exocad training dongle. of course its a viable career choice, but i probably would have a hard time making my mortgage payment for a while..
i'm pretty sure the demand is "there", and with minimal investment you can find out for sure...

training isn't cheap... i learned with 2 screens and youtube vids.. since you are already a tech, it's the cad skills needed... half way home

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
you can start with the Exocad training dongle. of course its a viable career choice, but i probably would have a hard time making my mortgage payment for a while..
i'm pretty sure the demand is "there", and with minimal investment you can find out for sure...

training isn't cheap... i learned with 2 screens and youtube vids.. since you are already a tech, it's the cad skills needed... half way home
Thanks!

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
keep an eye on the print tech as well... i have a feeling that print tech and processing will be reasonable for everyone in the near future with DD.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Not retiring just yet :) But want to change in the near future. I would like to learn how to digitally design dentures to send to whoever will do the next steps. Basically work from home designing digital dentures on the computer and sending that off. Whether work for myself or someone else I don't care, but is this a viable career choice and where would I get the training if it is?
There's a huge demand for remote designers right now. You probably need to design more than dentures though. Look into learning how to design dentures, crown and bridge, all-on-x, nightguards, surgical guides, etc.

You have a leg up on most designers in that you already know analog and understand functional occlusion. That's the hard part, learning the software is entirely possible through YouTube and CAD groups on Facebook. You can go as far as your dedication will take you without needing to pay for training as long as you have some computer skills IMO. I can recommend you some great YouTube channels.

Even though I vastly prefer 3shape's denture module, I would recommend Exocad over 3shape personally. It's more versatile, runs better, and doesn't cripple you with it's constant hand-holding. That's just my opinion using both. There's also Blender but I have no experience with it but I hear good things.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
This is a great thread topic Doris. I’ll be following w interest.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
There's a huge demand for remote designers right now. You probably need to design more than dentures though. Look into learning how to design dentures, crown and bridge, all-on-x, nightguards, surgical guides, etc.

You have a leg up on most designers in that you already know analog and understand functional occlusion. That's the hard part, learning the software is entirely possible through YouTube and CAD groups on Facebook. You can go as far as your dedication will take you without needing to pay for training as long as you have some computer skills IMO. I can recommend you some great YouTube channels.

Even though I vastly prefer 3shape's denture module, I would recommend Exocad over 3shape personally. It's more versatile, runs better, and doesn't cripple you with it's constant hand-holding. That's just my opinion using both. There's also Blender but I have no experience with it but I hear good things.
Thanks for the tips! It's hard to sit through the entire Exocad tutorial in one sitting without falling asleep to the monotone voice lol. I also think I would like to learn both Exocad and 3 Shape, I went on Blender a few times and for me that would take more time to master than I'm willing to put in at the moment, that would be for later. As long as I don't run into ageism as I'm getting almost old lol, I should do ok.

Top Bottom