Relocating to North LA from NYC

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to know more about opportunities in Los Angeles for a start up. I've been a lab owner in manhattan, ny, for about 5 years now and have been very fortunate to have studied with some of the best in the field. I was a faculty member at nyu dental school for three years and now im considering relocating to LA with my wife and 2 month old daughter. There is a 2 man lab selling for 35k that I'll be meeting with next month but I'm a little weary about closing so soon...
I have been grossing about 200k in ny with an employee and myself, but it is my understanding that business is not going so well in LA or California in general. Does anyone know how I can make the move and actually hit the ground running in LA? Is it better to buy a small business or get a managing job at a large lab? If thats the case, will they make me sign a non-compete agreement in order to get the job? I'm very motivated and understand that it'll take some time to start making money but my wife is afraid of "going backwards". Especially with a youngster around now.so cash flow would be the key here. If anyone has any info about the LA lab scene it would be greatly appreciated.