Recommend me a light curing unit for ND material

CreativeTech

CreativeTech

Reaction score
My 15 year old unit finally bit the dust so I'm at looking at the cordless wand type as a replacement. My only use for it is curing ND material. Anything from a "dental" company seems overpriced, so are any of the ones on Amazon any good? There aren't enough reviews to tell, & I cant find hard & fast info on the required light spectrum.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I still have the Heliolux GT curing light from when I bought the Empress system, along with the ND material.
I'll be curious as far as what advice may be given here, as I'll be needing to do something sooner than later.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ahhh, I use Shutz Gebdi curing light. I think it was $99, but don't quote me. I like it because I can do mounted models for light cure baseplates in it as well.
View attachment 32819

How long does it take to cure? I have the little box unit from Zahn (yellow window one),but it takes forever just to cure Optiglaze on PMMA.

CreativeTech

CreativeTech

Reaction score

Uh, no.
s-l300.jpg

Biggrin

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to cure? I have the little box unit from Zahn (yellow window one),but it takes forever just to cure Optiglaze on PMMA.
Optiglaze and pmma are a different animal to cure. Different wavelengths of light to cure those bad boys than to cure traditional light cure appliances (i.e. trays, eclipse, ND, LC cements).

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I didn't think about that, or realize that. Thanks.
Maybe that's why the Heliolux would at least cure the Optiglaze on the PMMA compared to the Zahn Light box taking so long, if at all?

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
The H is using a Surefire 6PX Pro flashlight we already had. Now 85.00 on AMazon. Sunlight will cure the ND material I read. Haven't tried it. You could construct a box or can to protect your eyes better.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't one of the woodpecker knockoffs do what you need?
They're like $20 on ebay. They have rechargeable batteries and likely last long enough for a days use I don't imagine you're doing dozen + preps a day are you?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
At that price, I should probably check into that one, too. Otherwise, I'll just wait for your feedback.

CreativeTech

CreativeTech

Reaction score
I should have it Monday so I'll report back then.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Since you already ordered one this may be a little late. Ask your docs what they've done with their old corded curing lights. I'll bet they put them in a closet and would be happy to clear out the space. I got 2 of them that way. I still have my Dentacolor curing unit, I think it's about 28 years old.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
My 15 year old unit finally bit the dust so I'm at looking at the cordless wand type as a replacement. My only use for it is curing ND material. Anything from a "dental" company seems overpriced, so are any of the ones on Amazon any good? There aren't enough reviews to tell, & I cant find hard & fast info on the required light spectrum.
If you have room on your bench , go to eBay and buy an old Eclipse light curing unit. It has 5 bulbs, turn table and up and down tray with heat sensor and air cooling fan. It is not cheap but for $500 you can cure anything in it.

CreativeTech

CreativeTech

Reaction score
My new light arrived this morning. After about 4 hours it had a full charge, so off I went. It fully cured ND2 on a veneer in 60 seconds, whereas my old unit was pushing two minutes. A most excellent piece of equipment for ninety six bucks!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
My new light arrived this morning. After about 4 hours it had a full charge, so off I went. It fully cured ND2 on a veneer in 60 seconds, whereas my old unit was pushing two minutes. A most excellent piece of equipment for ninety six bucks!

Thanks for getting back to us with your report.
It sounds like it was worth it.

Top Bottom