problems with polished surface?

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
I make dentures for several clinics. One of them says that patients regularly complain about food collecting and caught on the flanges of denture. I have examined the denture and found the surfaces were polished very smooth, have no stipple and buffed to a high shine, yet one of my customer claims many patients have this problem...

..Is there another possibility? Maybe something wrong with the material? Or is it a patient hygiene issue. Is it possible the flanges are too thin or teeth set too lingual so that food constantly collects against the polished surface?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
This is going to be a bit difficult to explain....

Over the years I have seen many different idea of what a properly finished denture looks like. Some times I see things that make me wonder what they are try to mimic when they wax up the case.

If you take some time and look in the mirror to look at how real teeth emerge from the bone and the soft tissue you will see that there is rarely if ever a concave shape to the buccle flange. Generally Max dentures are the worst culprit here.

Proper acrylic support to bush the food across the table of the teeth against the cheek and back up over the teeth is what a perfectly contoured flange is designed for. Smooth gingival carvings that are flamed and rounded rather than sharp and square also help with getting food to roll down the flange up the cheek and back across the table of the teeth.

Highly polished, no sharp edges, and a properly contoured and non over extended buccle flange are all things that need to be addressed when a patient complains about food collection.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Hi, i would like to knnow if those patients are first time denture wearers? if they do kleen their denture afther each meal?
Quote " People wearing dentures are far more conscious of food collecting in their mouths than those with natural teeth are. This is because the denture flanges (sides) occupy space where normally food would collect."
and from your side check the manufacturers polymerisation of the acrilyc is done corectly
time, temperature, and cooling of the flask before deflasking.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
When I was in school they taught to cover as much of the mandibular buccal shelf as possible because of limited bone loss in this area. But in real life, with properly positioned posterior teeth, this holds the cheek too far away from the occlusal surface. When the cheek and tongue are trying to hold a bolus of food in position, the cheek constantly fills with food. In my practice I now build them long and reduce them as required.

I would have to believe that you are contouring properly. I have noticed in a relined denture the original denture was made with high impact acrylic and relined with a regular heat cured material that the high impact acrylic had more plaque accumulation. It was a very noticeable difference at the transition of the two materials. This patient did have poor hygiene. Anybody who doesn't clean their teeth before sitting in my chair gets this label.:faint:

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
I have noticed in a relined denture the original denture was made with high impact acrylic and relined with a regular heat cured material that the high impact acrylic had more plaque accumulation. It was a very noticeable difference at the transition of the two materials.

high impact in general accumulates more, or only in patient poor hygiene?

Since it is only work from one clinic who sometimes complains, and I know i have been producing awesome high shine, i believe problem is either with the material or with psychology of client or hygien of patient.

acrylic is Impak 20 from DenPlus

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
high impact in general accumulates more, or only in patient poor hygiene?
IMO it is in general, I only caught it myself with poor hygiene case.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
I have used impac 20 before its a good acrylic, now i use luciton 199 if i have a rush case i use luciton powder with impac liquid.
For that Dr. try to use another brand of acrylic to see if you are going to get the same complains.

S

Syrob

Reaction score
What makes easy polishing of gold crowns, is
a) a homogenous casting
b) proper design occlusal scheme and
c) the following instrumentation:
1) Micro Points Pacific Abasive,
2) Dura-White Stones by Shofu, and
3) polishing compound Zircon-Brite by DVA in combination with Twinkle
Paste.

And forget about the multitude unnecessary grooves- the so-called chicken scratches which are impossible to polish.