Press Pack

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
We recently purchased this item (along with the 2 flask cage to place into cure tank) but the question we had is that how can you press pack this with 1 person? How can you keep the unit still while turning it manually? Any ideas? We don't have a vice or etc. to hold it together.

Attachments

• 20180615_104443_resized.jpg
    20180615_104443_resized.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 98
evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Nevermind apparently Handler has clasps/clips you can use to mount onto a bench etc.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Nevermind apparently Handler has clasps/clips you can use to mount onto a bench etc.
Until you get those you can put it on the floor and hold it still with your feet.

Ryanendres01

Ryanendres01

Reaction score
Like so...

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 54
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
We recently purchased this item (along with the 2 flask cage to place into cure tank) but the question we had is that how can you press pack this with 1 person? How can you keep the unit still while turning it manually? Any ideas? We don't have a vice or etc. to hold it together.

Well the way I did that years ago was take that along with a hydrolic car jack to a welder and had them weld the two together to make a home made hydrolic press. Somebody stole it or I would be able to show a picture of it ;-(

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Until you get those you can put it on the floor and hold it still with your feet.
I took a 2x4x4, sunk some screws leaving 11/2 inch protruding. Put press against screws, stand on 2x4. Helps the leverage.
That was my backup.

N

nickate

Reaction score
I have a 2 head and 2 single head Pneumatic Cow Bilt presses available for sale. Asking $1000 for the double head and $500 each for the singles.
You can pack one handed with a sammich in the other!

N

nickate

Reaction score
I agree with the amount of McGyver lab guys/gals need to have to succeed but why make your life hard when it comes to packing?!?! Get the right equipment, greatly improve your product and cut your packing time in half.... not to mention anybody can turn a knob.... not everybody has the muscles needed to close a big boy... and NOBODY can do it consistently.... white dentures and porosity once in a while is the norm because you will not spend a few bucks to make a few bucks.... more turkey roasters are on order btw....

N

nickate

Reaction score
Not following how creative problem solving equates unskilled...

You are smart. You know exactly where I went there yet you choose not to agree.... aok. Nice shoes.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I agree with the amount of McGyver lab guys/gals need to have to succeed but why make your life hard when it comes to packing?!?! Get the right equipment, greatly improve your product and cut your packing time in half.... not to mention anybody can turn a knob.... not everybody has the muscles needed to close a big boy... and NOBODY can do it consistently.... white dentures and porosity once in a while is the norm because you will not spend a few bucks to make a few bucks.... more turkey roasters are on order btw....
If you're doing it right, full closure occurs when the lips of the flask halves touch and no extra amount of pressure will change that. Proper trial packing makes this possible.

Extra pressue is not required, it only stops people from bemding their flasks.

N

nickate

Reaction score
If you're doing it right, full closure occurs when the lips of the flask halves touch and no extra amount of pressure will change that. Proper trial packing makes this possible.

Extra pressue is not required, it only stops people from bemding their flasks.

Thank you JMN for inadvertently driving my point home. What is "extra" pressure..... 10psi, 100psi,500psi, 1000psi.....etc... without a gauge you have absolutely no way of knowing if you are being consistent. I went through this years ago at an old skool lab..... flasks pressed by one individual had consistent underpacking problems... sometimes....
They were blaming the acrylic. Wrong.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you JMN for inadvertently driving my point home. What is "extra" pressure..... 10psi, 100psi,500psi, 1000psi.....etc... without a gauge you have absolutely no way of knowing if you are being consistent. I went through this years ago at an old skool lab..... flasks pressed by one individual had consistent underpacking problems... sometimes....
They were blaming the acrylic. Wrong.
Underpacking = Not properly trial packed.
I get where you're goin', and hydraulic presses are nice, but not required. Underpacking can happen with them when improperly packed as well.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Underpacking = Not properly trial packed.
I get where you're goin', and hydraulic presses are nice, but not required. Underpacking can happen with them when improperly packed as well.

Great debate.... You are experienced and know what to look for while packing. Most labs do not place their senior techs on the big boy. If you think an inexperienced person today will give er' it all to close that flask..... every time... every day......and you know where I'm goin'..... soooo.... to minimize operator error.... get a $500 pneumatic press with a gauge. I'm all out of dabate here!!!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
You are smart. You know exactly where I went there yet you choose not to agree.... aok. Nice shoes.

Sounds to me you are saying that we have to buy the most expensive option when the lesser expensive works just as well.The $1000 denture curing tank has the higher price and is labeled dental, but the $35 slow cooker that has a temp gauge and is the same exact thing/ does the same exact thing makes a person unskilled and uneducated? Sounds more like the market place in action to me.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Great debate.... You are experienced and know what to look for while packing. Most labs do not place their senior techs on the big boy. If you think an inexperienced person today will give er' it all to close that flask..... every time... every day......and you know where I'm goin'..... soooo.... to minimize operator error.... get a $500 pneumatic press with a gauge. I'm all out of dabate here!!!
It's always been and always will be about training your staff, not just paying them.

Top Bottom