Porcelain repair

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Hi, I have to repair an implant pfm full arch bridge, some porcelain chipped off ( no metal is exposed ).
Apparently is near a Pontic (maybe build was too thick? Don't know. I haven't seen it yet and can't remember the case, I did it maybe 2 years ago...).anyway, I'm planning to use composite .
What's the process? Sandblast (HF),primer, composite, cure, done? Am I missing anything .
Please help it's my first.
Grazie

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Dry the case out for awhile on furnace platform by muffle, raise slowly every 10 min. Or so. If discoloration occurs grind off sandblast if necessary, steam clean. Then use a low fusing porcelain, fire and polish. Good luck

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Dry the case out for awhile on furnace platform by muffle, raise slowly every 10 min. Or so. If discoloration occurs grind off sandblast if necessary, steam clean. Then use a low fusing porcelain, fire and polish. Good luck
Thanks Saluki, that is what I'm trying to avoid. I would prefer not to refire if not necessary ( is a full arch) also on Ti interface ( meaning re-bonding). I don't have a lot of time, must be done same morning.
I was thinking of waxing what's missing, press and put aside for when composite fails so I have a piece of glass to bond to the bridge ( that I know it will work ).
It's just with composite that I'm not 100 % sure.
Thanks for reply.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Talking with a doc friend of mine about this today. He said he hasn't had much long term success repairing porcelain with composite. His technique is to etch and silanate, then build directly. His theory is the moisture in the porcelain affects the bond.

My thoughts, before you start drying the restoration use some lab putty to make an impression of the damaged area and make a indirect composite.
Then silanate the dried restoration and bond it in place.

When I have to dry an old porcelain restoration. I usually set my muffle idle temp to 100c and let it dry and preheat for an hour or so. I then close the muffle and leave it overnight.

I know you have to do it same day, but I think you'll see it again soon if you don't get it thouroghly dry. My $.02

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Any possibility of producing a pressed "veneer" and bonding it to the bridge? I've never done it extra orally, but have produced them for intra oral bonding. Just an idea- shoot holes in it if it's poorly thought out.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
BelleGlass would back up you strongly on this case, fantastic system.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Any possibility of producing a pressed "veneer" and bonding it to the bridge? I've never done it extra orally, but have produced them for intra oral bonding. Just an idea- shoot holes in it if it's poorly thought out.
I was actually going to buildup the chip in LC resin, press and use when I get the bridge back to replace the "failed composite" ( if they give me enough time I may do that morning). I'm not sure how long I have. Patient is going in next Saturday . Thanks for the replies.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I would think pressing would be better, IF you or the Doc has a good bonding protocol and if that is the case, why remove the case from the patients mouth? Tell you Doc to prep like a veneer with a nice defined margin. If doing composite, then have the doc create some undercuts.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
I would think pressing would be better, IF you or the Doc has a good bonding protocol and if that is the case, why remove the case from the patients mouth? Tell you Doc to prep like a veneer with a nice defined margin. If doing composite, then have the doc create some undercuts.
Hi tried already, failed after 2 days. Now he wants me to give it a go.

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
I have really good success using porcelain wash from American Dental Supply , I usually soak it overnight and let it dry completely in porcelain furnace at 250 degrees c and then fire using low fusing.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
bridge_repair_product.jpg
bridge_repair_porcelain.jpg

This I have done with pontics with abutments etc. By the way this are pics that I got them from internet just to show.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Porcelain needs hydrofluoric acid to etch before you silanate and bond. Many company make kit.
There was recently a non-HF porcelain etchant that may be a lot safer than having that around.
I use a sodium bicarbonate gel to neutralize it before washing it off very carefully!
We do that with a rubber dam in the mouth even so not impossible, and way safer in
the lab on the bench but still be careful.
LCM

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
Hi, I have to repair an implant pfm full arch bridge, some porcelain chipped off ( no metal is exposed ).
Apparently is near a Pontic (maybe build was too thick? Don't know. I haven't seen it yet and can't remember the case, I did it maybe 2 years ago...).anyway, I'm planning to use composite .
What's the process? Sandblast (HF),primer, composite, cure, done? Am I missing anything .
Please help it's my first.
Grazie

Porcelain needs hydrofluoric acid to etch before you silanate and bond. Many company make kit.
There was recently a non-HF porcelain etchant that may be a lot safer than having that around.
I use a sodium bicarbonate gel to neutralize it before washing it off very carefully!
We do that with a rubber dam in the mouth even so not impossible, and way safer in
the lab on the bench but still be careful.
LCM

R

rich green

Reaction score
I have really good success using porcelain wash from American Dental Supply , I usually soak it overnight and let it dry completely in porcelain furnace at 250 degrees c and then fire using low fusing.
this works well. get doc to give you the time you need. it will be faster to do it right once than take it in and out multiple times each time adding risk to process. my.02

Top Bottom