pencil lead for surveyor

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
After 30 years, I need another piece of pencil lead for my surveyor. Haven't been able to find this in any of my supply catalogs, or the local drafting-arts store. Any thoughts?

Carol

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Light a pencil on fire and recover the lead (graphite) ?

What is diameter.

My other thought is....ITS FRIDAY!!!!!

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Pm the address I think I have a gross left and would ship a couple your way. My .02 $$$$

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Contractor pencil lead from Home Depot. (Big Rectangle shaped pencil)

Again...light wood on fire.

As an option.

The above post sounds better?

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Light a pencil on fire and recover the lead (graphite) ?

What is diameter.

My other thought is....ITS FRIDAY!!!!!

lol hell yea its friday....but yea I keep a "burnt" pencil on my casting well for stirring gold alloy Im still casting for FGC's, great oxide scavenger...

rex

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
2mm black using a 2h lead....I think they are available from Staples....I owuld not use the standard hb because it is messy. The 2h will give you a finer line and is less messy.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Thanks for all of advice, but unfortunately I think my surveyor takes a 3 mm diameter lead. I found a source for 3 mm lead on Amazon, shipping is twice the cost of the lead though.

***: I know it was Friday when you wrote:
Contractor pencil lead from Home Depot. (Big Rectangle shaped pencil)
, but getting a rectangular lead (the contractor pencil in my garage has rectangular lead) to fit a round circle is a bit more work than I want to do! And the nearest Home Depot is 90 miles so it's not overly cost-effective

Happy weekend! Carol

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Could be...what kind of surveyor do you have? Never heard of a 3 mm shaft. Maybe you are missing the sleeve on a NEY surveyor.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Could be...what kind of surveyor do you have? Never heard of a 3 mm shaft. Maybe you are missing the sleeve on a NEY surveyor.

Go to a drafting supply store and get the lead for mechanical drafting pencils. Thick pieces, multiple colors and hardnesses.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
I have an old "Jelenko" surveyor. The collit requires a minimum 2.5mm diameter, current insert rods are 3mm, there is only one drafting store in the county, and the largest lead they carry is 2mm and unable to order anything larger from their catalog.

C

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I had similar difficulties a long time ago but if I get an awkward situation now I'll try to innovate with telescoping pieces of steel rods and tubing to custom-make a lead-holder. Some model-making suppliers have stocks of tubing at small diameters as well as ortho suppliers. Internet is a great tool to find peculiar items.