oye....

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
screw retained case, lingual cusps are higher on #17 due to occlusion. Empty spaces chew no food, also a good idea to keep occlusal forces centered over implants as much as possible, metal support, LOTS of metal support .. the rest speaks for itself. Think they will last? Splinted, balanced occlusion with pin point contacts... done all I can do. any suggestions or comments appreciated. PLEASE CRITIQUE popcorn
terrychong 014.jpg terrychong 016.jpg

doug

doug

Reaction score
Are those two different implants? As in different companies.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Looks like you did the best considering. . . .

Sure hope patient has excelent home oral care to keep things clean on the buccal emergence angles area.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
screw retained?...from the lingual, set screws? Nice implant placement...someday Lord, may oral surgeons give us a wand for all of our magic in the lab...lol

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
screw retained?...from the lingual, set screws? Nice implant placement...someday Lord, may oral surgeons give us a wand for all of our magic in the lab...lol

screw retained...
terrychong 017.jpg

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
You are pressed between a rock and a hard place. Difficult to criticize the surgeon without a post op CT. Too many unknown constraints. Did the patient refuse a bone graft to effect a more favorable implant placement?
:frusty:
In general I would have tried to keep the occlusal table narrower buccal lingually. Maybe sacrifice esthetics and reduce the buccal. This would reduce the buccal cantilever and help hygiene issues. Metal lingual to reduce lingual thickness. Trying to make contact with the opposing produced a reverse curve of Wilson. Dr. should have considered treating the opposing in some form to avoid this.
You did the best you could under the circumstances. Thank you for sharing this case. Good to know I am not the only one to struggle with less than ideal cases. Banging your head on the bench in frustration.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Difficult to criticize the surgeon without a post op CT. Too many unknown constraints. Did the patient refuse a bone graft to effect a more favorable implant placement?

Not necessarily, it's like putting on your clothes in the morning, you do it right or you don't. If by chance you do put them on wrong, then everyone is going to know. Therefore, why not just do it right the first time and if you have to do a sinus lift, a flap, a graph, a cbct, then you do it because there is just no excuse for that type of placement with today's technology IMO or just walk around undressed all day :). Great job Disturbed.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would have countersunk the set screws. I would have extended the lingual band interproximally and contoured the band to allow for a flush seating of the screws.That will be tough to keep clean.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"In general I would have tried to keep the occlusual table narrower buccal lingually."

That was gonna be my comment. You shouldn't have a wide or steep occlusual table on implant retained molars.

Aesthetics are definitely secondary to function here.

regards the ceramic, are you using a ton of high opacity dentine here?
the crowns look very opaque and non vital.

Ive stopped using stright opacious/deep dentine on all metal based work now. Theres no need for it and it just kills vitality generally.

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would have countersunk the set screws. I would have extended the lingual band interproximally and contoured the band to allow for a flush seating of the screws.That will be tough to keep clean.

IMO if there is some bone left and the tissue displacement is done well a papilla will form there, I also removed a LITTLE tissue in that area in the hopes that the tissue will fill the void. Extend the lingual band? Would that not have made MORE of a food trap in that area?? maybe I don't understand what you are describing..popcorn

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
"

regards the ceramic, are you using a ton of high opacity dentine here?
the crowns look very opaque and non vital.

Ive stopped using stright opacious/deep dentine on all metal based work now. Theres no need for it and it just kills vitality generally.

no, just LOTS of metal support, kinda killed the vitality.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"IMO if there is some bone left and the tissue displacement is done well a papilla will form there"

How do you know without knowing the distance to crestal bone?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
IMO if there is some bone left and the tissue displacement is done well a papilla will form there, I also removed a LITTLE tissue in that area in the hopes that the tissue will fill the void. Extend the lingual band? Would that not have made MORE of a food trap in that area?? maybe I don't understand what you are describing..popcorn

Carry the lingual bands towards the interproximal providing support for the porcelain.Inrease the height of the bands to allow for a flush seating of the screws instead of countersinking them.

You have 2 holes that will fill with mung.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

Those are not set screws, the fixtures are so ling that he has ridge lapped the restorations, those are the axis holes through the top of the UCLA's

As others have stated you have a tremendous amount of off axis load to these restorations based on fixture/occ table placement. Its great that they are screw retained because screws will most likely loosen quickly over time.

I can't tell but I sure hope they are splinted, that will aid in this tough situation.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Those are not set screws, the fixtures are so ling that he has ridge lapped the restorations, those are the axis holes through the top of the UCLA's

As others have stated you have a tremendous amount of off axis load to these restorations based on fixture/occ table placement. Its great that they are screw retained because screws will most likely loosen quickly over time.

I can't tell but I sure hope they are splinted, that will aid in this tough situation.

You're right John,
my mistake Disturbed, I thought they were set screws because of their positioning.

DUH!:eek:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You're right John,
my mistake Disturbed, I thought they were set screws because of their positioning.

DUH!:eek:

I asked that in the fourth post...come on rkm, get with the program :p

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

So why bring the lingual cusps into contact?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
nice work disturbed.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score

yep, splinted. :)

Top Bottom