Overnight milling of full arch cases - VHF R5 or Roland DWX-53DC

J

JCSB1225

Reaction score
Anyone using the VHF R5 or the Roland DWX-53DC for milling full arch cases (multiple jobs) overnight? I'm looking for a testimony.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We have the older VHF S1/S2 milling into the night no issues. But anything can happen, lol. What's your concern?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I had Roland 52DC-s milling over night with little problems regarding to changing mechanism (It had problems time to time),but there can be problem, when for example bur is breaking. Now I have imes 350 loaders and to be honest, I don't trust those loaders at all...

J

JCSB1225

Reaction score
We have the older VHF S1/S2 milling into the night no issues. But anything can happen, lol. What's your concern?
Main concern is that the machine(s) will do what they say. Haha. I know there are a lot of variables of course. Do you have any trouble with support with VHF?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I had Roland 52DC-s milling over night with little problems regarding to changing mechanism (It had problems time to time),but there can be problem, when for example bur is breaking. Now I have imes 350 loaders and to be honest, I don't trust those loaders at all...
The 52DCi disc changer is notoriously unreliable, by disc changer standards; or at least the old version was, the version that mostly used pressed n stamped sheet metal for its components- it can sag enough from heavy 20-30mm discs that it'll lose alignment or outright bend out of true, ours always needed human intervention often enough that we wouldn't trust it to run anything critical while unattended. They redesigned it to deal with these issues, I believe that design is now standard on 52DCis, but the 53 design seems to have been built around a robust disc changing assembly from the get-go, and from whaat i've experienced + heard, it's far more reliable.

The imesicore 350i+ disc changer is, similarly, very reliable from what I've heard, the disc changer is much more substantially-built compared to the Rolands. We don't use ours a ton for overnight milling right now, but the only problems we've had with it are due to user error, stuff like spinning the magazine during milling operations so when the fixture sticks its head through the door to do a tool change, there is a fixture in the magazine slot that it thinks is empty, and you get a collision. It will let you do stuff like that that causes accidents, it doesn't control for that as much as, say, a PM7 does, so it's important to know the ways in which it will let you do something stupid.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Your 350 is faulty, when it allows you to change tools while there is puck in the holder. In my case there are software errors that cause millings to stop.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive found VHF support is ok, but I havent had to deal with it much.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Main concern is that the machine(s) will do what they say. Haha. I know there are a lot of variables of course. Do you have any trouble with support with VHF?
All my mills have been out of support for many years, i repair any issues with the mills and major repairs i have a friend that helps me out. Also i don't use VHF Cam software, i run all my mills with Ivoclars DS Cam, much much better.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
we run a 51D and 53DC overnight milling full arches with no issues.

(51 of course can only handle a single job without manual puck exchange)

K

Kaiser7100

Reaction score
I have a vhf r5. I run mine every night. Sometimes it gets stuck, unless you reset, it will make your compressor run non stop all night.

Last edited:
R

rookiee

Reaction score
Running 52dci with no problems....Had an issue with stuck bearing which gave as result error on changing holder but it was free fix which takes you 3 minutes...otherwise, changer is running as new, machine is 4 years old, still on first spindle and did like 5 calibrations in all that time...

Top Bottom