Orthodontic appliances - help needed

C

Cass

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name's Kate and I'm a 3rd year student of dental technology in Poland. It's the last grade of my studies and I have to make a kind of project that allow me to finish my studies. It's a bachelor degree. I have such a problem with translation of my project's subject into English. I'm writing about a group of orthodontic appliances (Quad helix, B helix, NA, transpalatal arch, etc.). Is it any term for this group of appliances?

Please, help me. I couldn't find it in dictionaries, even in the professional one. You are my last resort :)

Greetings from Poland,
Kate

Ps. I'm sorry for making a mess with this stupid post :)

T

tap

Reaction score
Hi Kate
These appliances are used in expanding or widening the arches. I can't think of a one word definition as found in a dictionary--they deal with active movement relying on screws or wire loops to exert forces on musculature, dentition or skeletal components to correct malocclusions. "Activators" wouldn't be an accurate description--those are appliances like bionators, LSU's, Harvold/Woodside. Why do you need a one word definition of this group of appliances? Good luck on your final project.
Tim

C

Cass

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply. I need this word to translate my subject. In Polish we have one word describes these group of appliances. It's something like 'wide arch braces'? If I could use this phrase, the subject would be 'Wide arch braces made indywidually' but it's not a good translation I guess. If it comes to movement, these appliances are usually unremovable.
Greetings

W

wirebender1956

Reaction score
We call them expansion and arch development

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
The appliances you mentioned are all fixed appliances. All to molar or premolars teeth. Most of the ones you mention are for molar rotation to gain more arch length and for also developing across the midline. They can be semi removable with sheathes to the lingual of the bands
This is no one word but the appliances you mention are all fixed and no removable by patient and most will develop across the midline
Also include rapid palatal expander in this group..
Good luck with the exams

-patrick

Top Bottom