Opaque bubbling with porcelain shoulder problem...

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's distilled water ? You must all have rusty creepy crawlers in your tap water.

Last edited:
GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
You know, I've figured out my problem that has been plaguing me. I think some of you will be very surprised at what was the issue. I've done about 300-400 PFM's since this and haven't had one gas bubble. I wish I could take credit for finding out what it could be, because trust me folks, I spent thousands, probably tens of thousands of dollars trying to figure it out. After some long conversations, Ernie Dymond (sp?) from Ivoclar's R&D department figured it out. Now listen, I've gone to the lengths of video taping my entire procedure, this went to some metallurgist, various alloy companies, and some of the top Master Ceramists in the world. Nobody could help, plagued with this issue for almost 3 years. Not every high palladium content case would blow up so it was almost impossible to nail down. VERY VERY FRUSTRATING. I actually spent a ton of weekends redoing work, sometimes substituting high noble (w/Dr.'s permission) and charging noble price because I just didn't have time to redo some cases. Anybody want to know what Ernie figured out???????? After I'm done finishing, I sandblast
accordingly, then steam clean <<<<<and that's the problem, the steam
cleaner. Steam cleaners made today coat their heating element with something that actually contaminates the water in the steam cleaner. This
contamination goes right onto your crown when you steam clean it before
degassing. Ernie suggested I do everything as I did before but instead of
steam cleaning, put them in a glass of distilled water for 30 secs then use your
air gun to dry them off before putting into the oven to degas. I know it
sounded absolutely looney to me, but you know what, I'm hammering out the
high % palladium cases without any issues. I know some of you have older
steamers, those seem to be fine. Might be worth a try, if it works, thank
Ernie....he's a Rockstar in my world!!!!

I have the same issue. My steamers have an external coil, not in the tank, so don't be too happy about your solution. Using the air gun is a very bad idea to dry the copings unless you have a very good dryer and filter. Maybe you can convince me otherwise? This is very frustrating.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. My steamers have an external coil, not in the tank, so don't be too happy about your solution. Using the air gun is a very bad idea to dry the copings unless you have a very good dryer and filter. Maybe you can convince me otherwise? This is very frustrating.

Have you stopped steaming them?????

P

paulg100

Reaction score
AH HAAA!!

Maybe when we were getting problems with Cercon ceramic years back and the rep told us we needed to use a square brush to apply the ceramic and not a round one, there was some truth in it after all!! :D

This is one of the things i hate about this job, some times the most random and obscure things can give us hell..

M

molarmaker

Reaction score
Paste opaque

Drying to fast and letting them steam used to do this to me.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
We went through this too when we switched to high palladium/silver alloy. The solution we found was Purge-All/Purge-All Plus. I think we were getting some kind of build-up in our opaque oven that a simple high 2000F purge didn't take out. We also made sure our opaquer was throughly blasting the entire surface of the coping to make sure it was clean.