old zycromat

boboyrobert

boboyrobert

Reaction score
We just purchased new elements for an old Zycromat and it keeps blowing fuses/ Any thoughts?

user name

user name

Reaction score
From Scottie...(if you dont know him, you should) Regarding no heat, but applicable to all issues-

It is corrosion probably at a connection AFTER the transformer.

Look at ALL connections

All connection after transformer require a LARGE surface area to complete the circuit.

Like a car battery. This is really low voltage going to elements. Under 12V !!

BUT, MASSIVE Amp, and this requires a BIG contact area.

The elements get corrosion from salts and acid vapor deposit...and dissimilar metal that create corrosion.

Maybe you need to flip over or turn (twist) a cable to get new contact area?

Or sand and polish and make flat connection.

(Insert my opinion now)...faulty power supply. Dont buy the one listed on ebay. Its also bad.

@JMN ??

E

erykd1

Reaction score
From Scottie...(if you dont know him, you should) Regarding no heat, but applicable to all issues-

It is corrosion probably at a connection AFTER the transformer.

Look at ALL connections

All connection after transformer require a LARGE surface area to complete the circuit.

Like a car battery. This is really low voltage going to elements. Under 12V !!

BUT, MASSIVE Amp, and this requires a BIG contact area.

The elements get corrosion from salts and acid vapor deposit...and dissimilar metal that create corrosion.

Maybe you need to flip over or turn (twist) a cable to get new contact area?

Or sand and polish and make flat connection.

(Insert my opinion now)...faulty power supply. Dont buy the one listed on ebay. Its also bad.

@JMN ??
I've been given that speech by Scotty too, wise words.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Be exceptionally cautious when working on your furnace.

Rule #1: Unplug it. Few people have the training and experience to safely work on live equipment.

With the elements, don't move them at all if you possibly can. The coating may crack and the element may need replacing just from moving it 50 microns.

@user name nailed the likeliest culprit: Poor connection. The fuse blows when there is too much energy being requested to flow through the fuse.
In a good design that is more than the system will ever draw when within normal operating ranges.

The cleanliness and high contact surface of the connection to/from the elements is paramount. Also, not calling you stupid, but it's easy to put things back together wrong. Did you take pictures of things and make sure that everything was connected back correctly?

How long is it taking to blow the fuse?
Instantly, like faster than you could start and stop a stopwatch?
A few seconds? like 3-8 seconds?
A few minutes?

Basically does it happen as soon as the elements would be active or is it as soon as it is plugged in?
Or does it happen a tt a specific time in the cycle

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If the fuse blows at being plugged in or turned on before the elements even get going there is a high chance that something got somewhere it wasn't supposed to be. Either something got in the case when working on it or something got misconnected.

This isn't a blame thing, it's a find the fault thing. Even bugs that climb onto stuff can conduct electricity and cause problems.
This is why we 'debug' computers, the phrase comes from a lady programmer at IBM finding that a fault in the system was caused by a moth or butterfly on one of the circuit boards and removing it fixed the problem.

zvac

zvac

Reaction score
The original Zyrcomat had its power switch replaced. I have one since 2006. About one year later Vita sent out replacement switch. Call Vita North America.

boboyrobert

boboyrobert

Reaction score
Thanks guys for input. This post was made so long ago by my boss who used my account instead of the businesses haha. The elements didn't get seasoned enough so they started drawing too much power. I'm in touch with the manufacturer to get some replaced. He recommended I only run up to 1580 (as high as the furnace goes) for 8 hours but they needed longer than that.