Need help with over denture cases with Sterngold Root Anchors!

• Thread starter Alberta Denturist
  • Start date
A

Alberta Denturist

Reaction score
Hello everyone thanks for reading, I'm hoping that someone out there has some experiance with these products and can help me out. My local dentist has been placing these in some patients then sending them to me for dentures/rpd's, but I've been finding that after inserting the case the patients complain a few weeks to months later that their dentures are loose. The cases are typically anchored on the 43 33 roots. I've tried chair side pickup, reline with transfers, and in a procesed dentures all to the same effect.
Is there something I'm doing wrong with my pickup or is it just a bad system?
This is the product if your unfamiliar http://www.sterngold.com/Sterngold/docs/666159pm.pdf

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the system. What is usually the problem is something that the patient is doing at home. I am assuming that you are doing your pickup with the black and then inserting the white before you send the patient home and the nylon females are wearing prematurely.

When doing the pickup, make sure that you have the patient close lightly. Just enough to verify the position of the denture. Then have them open while you hold the denture in place until your pickup material cures. Hopefully you are using a self curing bis acryl composite for the pickup these set up pretty quickly and accurately. If the patient bites down too hard they will displace the tissue under the denture. When the attachments are picked up with compressed tissue...the tissue rebounds and dislodges the attachments and the patient will unwittingly bite it back into place. Eventually with constant insertion and removal the nylon will wear and the denture will be loose.

Also make sure that the patient is properly caring for these attachments at home. They should not be soaking their dentures in a denture cleaner any longer than is specified on the instructions of the cleaner. This will make the nylon attachments very brittle and they will wear very quickly and also wear the females in the root. I have seen this completely destroy a hader bar.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom