Need Advice whether to buy a dry mill or SLA printer!!

J

JohnR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to begin printing/milling surgical guides in house using 3shape implant studio (I've previously outsourced for SLA printing and used Blue Sky Bio). I would like to also print/mill custom healing abutments as well. I'm leaning toward a dry mill such as the new Roland but would like any feedback from you guys first. A few questions come to mind...how long does it take does it take to mill an average half arch guide? Cost of PMMA pucks? Any suggestions for mills or SLA printers with FDA cleared resin? Thanks for any feedback!!

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
For comparison milling a night guard takes about 2 hours and for the most part you can fit one on a disc. Clear pmma TD Dental supply sells clear pmma for $20. Milling them in my opinion is a waste of milling machine time. I would print them. You could get a whole lot more of them made in less time milling one. There are clear printable materials coming on the market now the are FDA approve for long term use.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
For comparison milling a night guard takes about 2 hours and for the most part you can fit one on a disc. Clear pmma TD Dental supply sells clear pmma for $20. Milling them in my opinion is a waste of milling machine time. I would print them. You could get a whole lot more of them made in less time milling one. There are clear printable materials coming on the market now the are FDA approve for long term use.

Not to mention that printing will yield you a better end result with less fitting, cause a milling machine has limitations to how much of the undercut it can remove. Yes lollipop tools can get in to those areas but add to milling times and calculation times. For guides I would go printing over milling.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Let alone the wear and tear it would be on a mill, if you were doing a lot of them.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
What type of SLA printer are you thinking about? Traditionally they are not cheap, and the cheap SLA machines are rubbish. value for money a Roland would be the way to mill splints in my opinion. I am also not sure if there is any long term clear resin yet...i may be wrong though. To give you background we have an orthodesk for our guides. its a great reasonably priced printer for guides. but i would use it for crown and bridge models.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We do about 8-10 splints a day so milling is not really the way to go for us. Would have to buy 2 mills to keep up.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Which printer and material are you thinking?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Bego has an interesting printer with material approved for long term use. Invisiontec has material approved also. Objet is working on material but nothing yet that I know of.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Sounds like a huge investment for just surgical guides and healing abutments. It only takes minutes to dupe and pour in acrylic.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Bego is dlp from memory. Envisiontec only has short term use material I think. And not in the 3sp printers which is similar to the SLA otherwise you would have to go for a DLP printer from them too. Bob is trying to sell one I hear!
Nextdent are working pretty hard on materials...maybe check them out.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Envisiontec introduced a long term material in Chicago. I like the dlp printers almost no maintainace and only a couple moving parts to worry about. No support wax to deal with and minimal clean up of the parts after processing. Run an Envisiontec for several years. I am looking at it from the point of view in making splints. We do a bunch of them and this would streamline my splint department.

J

JohnR

Reaction score
I checked out the NextDent website...their materials look promising but it doesn't look like they make printers. Does anyone know of compatible printers that can be used with the NextDent materials?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I checked out the NextDent website...their materials look promising but it doesn't look like they make printers. Does anyone know of compatible printers that can be used with the NextDent materials?
their materials are made for DLP printers the projector ones. so you could use the material in something like a Form1 from Formlabs. this kind of printer. you wouldnt be able to use it in an Objet for two reasons: their materials are very specifically tagged with RFID, meaning their system is closed, and they don't have a DLP printer to begin with.

CAD-CAM Jedi

CAD-CAM Jedi

Reaction score
Get an envisiontec MicroDGP (to print your guides) and purchase a refurb DWX-50, or new DWX-51d. If you go with the refurb, you may end up getting the better deal because you will still need to purchase CAM software. You will have much less of a headache printing guides. You are restricted to certain limitations when milling guides.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bego has an interesting printer with material approved for long term use. Invisiontec has material approved also. Objet is working on material but nothing yet that I know of.
Objet has a clear material that is FDA cleared for surgical guides. We have been printing surgical guides for several months. The printer of choice form Objet, the Ortho Desk.
The deal on printing vs. milling. If you are doing one or two a week and you have some extra 5 axis mill time, mill them. If you're ramping up, milling is takes too long. You need to print. Either way, make sure you are using an FDA cleared material. There are several for both milling and printing.

Cory@WhipMix

Cory@WhipMix

Reaction score
3D printing your surgical guides would be your best option. I have been playing with a DLP 3D printer for the past year and i have been able to manufacture on average 10 surgical guides per print cycle (depending on height roughly 2 hours). The pest part, the material cost was roughly $2.00 per guide.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
3D printing your surgical guides would be your best option. I have been playing with a DLP 3D printer for the past year and i have been able to manufacture on average 10 surgical guides per print cycle (depending on height roughly 2 hours). The pest part, the material cost was roughly $2.00 per guide.
Which printer are you using?

Top Bottom