Milled Green Metal Frameoworks

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00269_20110415_0758.jpg

These are some milled green metal crowns. Full Density powdered metal components are milled and then sintered in closely calibrated, high temperature vacuum furnaces. Controlling the chemistry of the full density alloys also dictates the small percentage of material that becomes liquid at the sintering temperature. This liquid rapidly diffuses throughout the entire compact, closing the pores and achieving the desired densification.

So in essence this is a dual phase interpentrating composite, somewhat like Captek, only the infiltrant is dispersed throughout the matrix. These alloys typically achieve 97% to 99%+ of theoretical densities, but these small porosities are what make them (or made them in the samples I tested) impractical for full crowns, but they did work for frameworks.

The pucks are made using atomized metal particles pressed in a 750 ton alpha press, but having even particle distribution and uniform, consistently sized nano particles of metal makes the material VERY expensive. In fact, close to $300 per ounce. I'll be very interested to see how the companies will price the blocks and how they will justify NP at those levels. FWIW
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00269_20110415_0758.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Is the idea that it will generate less tool wear than tradition wet mills making it more cost effective overall?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Is the idea that it will generate less tool wear than tradition wet mills making it more cost effective overall?

Milling green metal is done in a dry mill. It also makes your tools last five times longer and you can cut ten times faster. It's also less wear and tear on spindles and servos.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
neat-o

It seems Zirconia is way ahead and cheaper and more biocompatible, etc...

P

paulg100

Reaction score
aimg190.imageshack.us_img190_5659_dentsply.jpg

Funny you should bring this up.

I got in touch with Dentsply the other day to try and get some info about this Crypton Stuff there bringing out for the MCXL.

All they could say was that it is set to go on sale at end of this year, and it works really well mmmmm.

Why ami not suprised that its gonna cost a packet!

and are you saying you need a special furnace to sinter these metals Mark?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

Funny you should bring this up.

I got in touch with Dentsply the other day to try and get some info about this Crypton Stuff there bringing out for the MCXL.

All they could say was that it is set to go on sale at end of this year, and it works really well mmmmm.

Why ami not suprised that its gonna cost a packet!

and are you saying you need a special furnace to sinter these metals Mark?

Yes. The sintering oven is about $25k, and has a vacuum. Scoatt is right, It's definately not a cost saving technique as far as I can see.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Milling green metal is done in a dry mill. It also makes your tools last five times longer and you can cut ten times faster. It's also less wear and tear on spindles and servos.

Thats what I figure the savings would be from,

I wonder if after you factor all the other costs associated to get it to a finished product if it will be a tremendous savings over traditional wet milling of metal pucks. Or if its just time.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
While we are discussing different materials, I had a convo with a Schein rep this week about this new Zir-Lux (sp?) (Full contour Zirconia) they are releasing. Supposedly much better than BruxZir (Her words, not mine) because of the way it is manufactured and the clinical studies have also been already conducted (Univ. of Alabama). I guess the reason it's suppose to be better than BruxZir is any type of ziconia porcelain can go on it, and the way you stain it versus BruxZir. I don't do full contour Zirconia so I kind of wanted to hear all of your thoughts.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
While we are discussing different materials, I had a convo with a Schein rep this week about this new Zir-Lux (sp?) (Full contour Zirconia) they are releasing. Supposedly much better than BruxZir (Her words, not mine) because of the way it is manufactured and the clinical studies have also been already conducted (Univ. of Alabama). I guess the reason it's suppose to be better than BruxZir is any type of ziconia porcelain can go on it, and the way you stain it versus BruxZir. I don't do full contour Zirconia so I kind of wanted to hear all of your thoughts.

Ive thought if somebody comes up with a Trans Zir that can be layered it will take the market from Bruxir.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
Ive thought if somebody comes up with a Trans Zir that can be layered it will take the market from Bruxir.

Amann Girrbach are releasing the translucent Zir, the metal that Scott mentioned, and ceramic blocks. I guess in the last quarter of this year it will be released.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
How did you hear about that?
From guys in FL, or from Jeugen Nachbaur?

Any more info?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Dentsply are also releasing there HT zirconia next month for Cercon (we have that machine also).

From what i gather the big thing at IDS was HT Zirconia so i think we will be spoilt for choice soon enough.

Didnt realize you couldnt layer Bruzxir though, whys that?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Says who?

Go ahead. I give you permission. It will not be a Bruxzir any longer on the "outside" LOL. Just on the inside.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a cheap bullet-proof crown though, doesn't it?

If you are going to layer, then just make a coping.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Im really looking forward to getting a high translucent zirconia i can layer, should make things that much easier to blend with emax.

And when compared to some of the older zirconias like the current Cercon stuff which is horribly opaque, if will make a huge difference.

At the moment i have to employ different techniques and a few tricks to help mask the frames which all take time, so again a HT frame will save time also.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
If you want more translucency from a layered framework, why not use the new generation of Alumina?

There is a more translucent BruzXir coming, and I spent the weekend at Glidewell in the Education and R&D departments. I saw the equipment that grows nanoparticles of zirconia. Things are going to get interesting!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just let me know when Glidewell decide to go Public.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Just let me know when Glidewell decide to go Public.

That would be insider trading :)

There is no doubt, they are the most influencial and powerful company in dentistry today.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"If you want more translucency from a layered framework, why not use the new generation of Alumina?"

Im only using zirconia for bridge frames, all single units are done in Emax now.

Plus its great having one layering ceramic for both materials, so Alumina is out in the cold for me.

"I saw the equipment that grows nanoparticles of zirconia"

far out stuff but how long are we talking for a product to hit the market, a long time im guessing?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I don't expect it to be that long for the material to come to market. Finding the right protocol to produce the particles you want is a trial and error process, and once you've found the formula, you can order the material in quantity from a big nano-manufacturer (is that an oxymoron?).

But bringing the product to market is is much about strategy, which seems to be lost on EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER on the planet.

Right now, BruxZir is the hottest product in dentistry, and it's just barely scratching the surface. The problem is, so many companies get a good product (Lava comes to mind) and then they ride it right into the ground, and then try to resurrect it with all kinds of desperate measures.

SMART companies start working on the new and improved version as soon as the first iteration gets traction, so that once it's popularity peaks, and begins to wane, you kick out the NBT.

Ivoclar has it down to a science.

L

ladent17

Reaction score
hello all
I come Sébastien dental consultant in France and CAM Dental
I can revive this post because I want to have information on this green metal!
is it possible to have the composition of this metal??
you know who makes it and when will he sold, for I have for my test on it I realize you included pictures, produced by super cons yet found a marketing

Top Bottom