Microwave Flask Choice???

O

oldretread

Reaction score
Using NatureCryl MC and a Buffalo microwave flask that the dentist had. In office lab. Not at all happy with the Buffalo flask. (White with projecting studs/bolts) Have to put a hockey puck top and bottom to press in the Big Boy to avoid the stud heads.
Looking at the Justi flask as a replacement. Any advice before I make the purchase? Other/better microwave flask?
Old geezer needs a little guidance.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Using NatureCryl MC and a Buffalo microwave flask that the dentist had. In office lab. Not at all happy with the Buffalo flask. (White with projecting studs/bolts) Have to put a hockey puck top and bottom to press in the Big Boy to avoid the stud heads.
Looking at the Justi flask as a replacement. Any advice before I make the purchase? Other/better microwave flask?
Old geezer needs a little guidance.

I haven't microwaved in a couple of years because the price of denture flasks went from $80 to well over $200. The old flasks didn't last three months before the threads where the screw goes in broke away from the plastic.
I used the Acron M/C don't know if the Naturecryl is repackaging the old stuff or they have improved it. Don't think you're supposed to put flasks in hydrolic press. The whole design of the flasks is a problem IMHO. I want this system to work however and have come up with a couple of theories that I didn't want to try on other peoples dentures :) Think I have a little old Acron left,
may experiment with hanau denture flask (shouldn't arc as bolts in microwave flasks are bronze and they don't arc. If they do, second experiment will be to put hanau brass flask in microwavable container and see what happens.
Will report positive findings to GC America so I can get residuals and make this a standard procedure :)

Michelle

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
The microwaves will not penetrate the metal.... that is the reason for the "plastic" flask. Metal reflects the microwaves.

Again sometimes new and improved is just BS..............

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
I got a bunch of advice from a guy who uses microwave curing on everything, and has for a few years. He uses (and I have just started using),GC's flask. He also uses Justi. Justi offers replacement parts to its flasks in case you break one section. The only thing he has ever broken are the bolts on either brand, and the Justi bolts work in the GC flask.

I can say the GC was easy to use, I do put it in a press, and it does divest very easily.

He did say to avoid the "black" flasks with the brass bolts as they were junk.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
The microwaves will not penetrate the metal.... that is the reason for the "plastic" flask. Metal reflects the microwaves.

Again sometimes new and improved is just BS..............

Well I'm not knocking the whole microwave technique because basically it is good and I want it to succeed, but i always felt that we were used as guinea pigs to use and test this stuff to where it is now.
Forgot about the microwaves not getting though the brass flasks but where there's a will there's a way to make a decent inexpensive flask..... for this and for light cured materials (which I believe is the way to go in the future..... ).

Michelle

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
So far they have a L-O-N-G way to go on light cured materials for dentures.....
eclipse is ok, barely, ... I have used it and got rid of the equipment a couple years ago..... Also the equipment is WAY overpriced...... and the benefits dentsply touts just are not there.......

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I was the dispenser of advise on microwaving. If you look to acquire a flask. Make sure it is the HK type. The GC ones are green, the Justi are tan. These ones are pretty bullitproof and divest easily. The problem with the technique was when the mfgs came up with the second generation of flasks (the black ones) to keep cost down. They turned out to be junk and many fled the technique. The HKs were the original from Japan, where they have the most experience with the technique. Sometimes trying to fix things that aint broke is not wise.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
GC also has a little tripod looking device that you slip into the bolt holes and over the flask for pressing. You might want to look at it too.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
GC also has a little tripod looking device that you slip into the bolt holes and over the flask for pressing. You might want to look at it too.
Tim is correct about the metal plate (I forget what they call it). The only reason I didn't mention it was I thought they came with the flask. Well I just opened the box on one of my spares, no plate. The guide pins on it help orient the flask during press. Justi doesn't have one, as they've grooved the rim in such a way as to ensure proper seat.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Holy ratpoop, Batnuts! Did he say "spares"? I just paid $220 for one! :D
Actually, I bought several a few years back when they cost less than $200. I just like having a backup...

H

Hamiltontech

Reaction score
I used microwave for a couple years. Dentsply has microwave flasks for success system. as well I used some of the black flasks. I found that anything that was thicker than 3mm would I would get internal porosity. This would lead to teeth coming of the denture as it would be right on the base of the teeth. I felt that microwave fit was awesome but the porosity was killing me as I work with several Prosthodontists and most of there cases were pretty thick. However frustrated with conventional acrylic fit that I am getting. I am using Ivoclar Probase now but looking for a better fitting acrylic.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I used microwave for a couple years. Dentsply has microwave flasks for success system. as well I used some of the black flasks. I found that anything that was thicker than 3mm would I would get internal porosity. This would lead to teeth coming of the denture as it would be right on the base of the teeth. I felt that microwave fit was awesome but the porosity was killing me as I work with several Prosthodontists and most of there cases were pretty thick. However frustrated with conventional acrylic fit that I am getting. I am using Ivoclar Probase now but looking for a better fitting acrylic.

What denture resin were you using to microwave?

H

Hamiltontech

Reaction score
I used acron mc I think it is a GC product. I tried at several wattage levels and tried different lengths of time as well.I tried a couple others as well but cant remember all the names. Used one called Highwave by a canadian company what a disaster that was absolutly no bond to teeth and looked like crap after a couple months in the mouth.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Im having a great deal of success using Diamond D and Keystones newly formulated "Special" 20 min. monomer reformulated for microwave irradiation.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I used acron mc I think it is a GC product. I tried at several wattage levels and tried different lengths of time as well.I tried a couple others as well but cant remember all the names. Used one called Highwave by a canadian company what a disaster that was absolutly no bond to teeth and looked like crap after a couple months in the mouth.

Honestly, if you're having porosity problems with really thick cases, going off mfgr's specs is the last thing I'd do. Seems to me you can have the same issue with compression molded resin in a water bath, if the thickness is really immense. That's the scenario where you break out things like processed bases to control the amount of resin being cured at any one time.

FWIW, though, some companies don't approach MC resin with the level of commitment it takes to really be consistent, they just trot out their usual with some guidelines for cure and that can be hit or miss.

That being said, in all the years I've worked with GC's microwave resin, it has been a real workhorse for me.

H

Hamiltontech

Reaction score
yes I really liked it. The fit was phenominal. I might go back and try with processed base plates to cut down the thickness. I was given tech advice from GC to try and lose the porosity. What Kind of teeth do you use? I am using teeth with a lot of glass and have to be careful about the bond. I use Vita PHYsioden Portrait IPN and Ivoclar Sr and Blueline

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
I think the fit is derived from the fact that the flask is closed and bolted before packing pressure is released.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I stock Creapearl and Image, I am ordering Preference from Talladium, because the price is really good. In a pinch, when I need an economy, I'll order Artic.

Top Bottom