machine axis

S

sml2010

Reaction score
Hi to all

Can you please show me and tell me what dental case need 5 axis machining? what dental case(part,restoration) need five axis machining(CAD/CAM)?

Can you show me by picture?

Thank you for your help

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the ever fabled 5 axis mill is a twofold misnomer. firstly, the mill will likely be 3+2 axis. its a very economical method of milling, and in some situations requires less accurate internal servos as the table can move as well as the spindle.

secondly the cases requiring the use of 4th and 5th axis milling are cases where you would place a bridge 18mm tall into a 14 mm thick puck via tilting the puck (or restoration depending on the software) during the nesting phase. the 5th axis is really only used when implants are placed in this fashion; you design an abutment with the through-hole tilted to fit the abutment into a smaller size puck; or the restoration you are making must tilt so much that the insertion direction creates an undercut in the Y axis. at this point you will see the spindle (or the table or puck depending your mill/software) tilt to mill the inside of the restoration/implant hole.

this saves you from purchasing really tall pucks (in some cases) but remember your 5th axis is not a full 180 Degree of freedom. in many milling machines you have about 18-20 degrees maximum freedom around the Y axis. simply, you won't be able to lay your restoration down horizontally and purchase those supercheap 10mm pucks.

true 5 axis milling machines (as opposed to 5 axis machines that are really 3+2) tend to sell for a lot more because of their sensitivity; anyone with an unstable power supply, or working on a ground fault line, will need to take appropriate precautions to isolate and dampen the effect of vibration or power surging (see construction areas or areas predisposed to inclement weather) as well as provide a stable and regulated DRY compressed air/nitrogen supply. the true 5 axis milling machines are easy to "corrupt" in that regard. slight vibration or surges in power/air can cause the spindle to move and hence cause chipping in zirconia and can require a lot of drive recalibration.

3+2 machines are similarly prone, however consider that under normal operation the 3 spindle axes will be in operation and not the 4th and 5th. there will be less use of those axes and so difficult cases with tricky undercuts dont need to be redesigned, they can just be remilled.

i'm sorry i can't answer your question with pictures. at least not today.

S

sml2010

Reaction score
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Great answer CoolHandLuke!
You will also need 3+2 or 5axis if you need to mill a bridge that has abutments that do not have a single path of insertion (or undercuts). In this situation the mill will machine the internal aspect of each abutment with the puck tilted at different angles.
If you do a lot of dental milling 3+2 or 5axis will be needed for about 1 or2% of all cases.
B

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am buying 5 axis to cut titanium at optimal angle to increase life of bur.

I want to cut as much as possible on the side of bur, not the bottom of the bur.

I need to tilt and spin that action on a true five axis to get the job done fast and cheap.

I could care less about undercuts, or the ability to mill them. I have never had a need to mill an undercut yet~

Five axis is a waste for Zirconia or PMMA or Wax.

I want to cut tooling costs for hard materials, and to reduce milling times. That's my reason.

I guess milling abutments is easier on a High-5
[YOUTUBE]um5aueZGNYM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
which 5 axis mill will you use that can cut titanium ? no doubt a wet mill as you'll likely need a ceramic cutter?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am doing the USA made Haas OM2-a route.

Regular tools. No pixie dust coating or magic involved.

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Hi ***, Have seen the same unit up for sale again, not sure if the guy has a few of them and selling them off one at a time. Thinking about picking one up from the US or going for the Evo50
What do you think of it so far, do you think it is good enough to do internal hex implant bridges?
Have found a cam software in the UK that is very cheap that can run the haas unit if you are interested then pm me, its not dental but will mill anything.

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hey Scott,
I thought u were doing a lot of milling. I can't believe you have never had the mill to a bridge that had abutments that did not have a common path of insertion.

We've been millin titanium for about a year using (mostly) 3 axis. Tool cost is about $2 a coping. Mill time is (slow) about 20 minutes.
Hope all is well,
Bob

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Scott,
I thought u were doing a lot of milling. I can't believe you have never had the mill to a bridge that had abutments that did not have a common path of insertion.

I guess our Dentists down South have learned how to prep correctly?

How are you going to place a bridge without a common path of insertion?

Bending teeth?

Same for single units. Can't have undercuts on inside.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
double implant. when the bridge is retrievable. tack the abutments into the bridge and wiggle the sucker into the mouth.

i simply ask for reprep or do reductions. saves more hassles.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Scott,
Sorry, but u r Wrong, I work for many docs in Florida and they send in plenty of cases that are not prepped correctly. BTW, many long span frames that have undercuts between abutments seat easily. In fact, it is very common for mandibular second molars to be tipped mesially. Add in a couple of pontics and a premolar prep and you have a case that will require a 3+2 or 5axis mill. When handled correctly the case drops in, no proble.
Scott, you must be aware that roots are in a periodontal ligament. This enables the teeth to have a small amount of movement which will also aid in seating bridges that have abutments that do not have a common path of insertion. Please keep in mind I am not advocating setting up cases on this basis. However, there are many of them out there. If you would like I will be happy to produce these cases for you.
Respectfully,
Bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom