Luckman Post dam

T

tomasball

Reaction score
I've never tried the Luckman post dam...barely even aware of it.

Has there been any research (or do you guys have insights) into whether it's universally better than another style? Are there anatomical or salivary characteristics that make it preferable?

As I drifted off to sleep the other night, I thought about offering a denture service where we started by fabricating three baseplates with three different post dams...let the patient tell me which one felt best, and then begin building the rest of the denture from there. Has anybody ever taken that approach?

Tom Ball DDS
San Juan, TX

oaktra

oaktra

Reaction score
There is a thread in the archives with some good luckman post dam pics. its listed as Let's talk PostDams...with pics. Guess I would make one for my own palette to see the pros and cons.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I've been using the "luckman" since my dad taught me it in the 1960's. I have tried other methods and keep coming back to the tried & true. they don't call it the "luckman" but the N Carolina instruction books have it described & I have the 1960 Navy manual and the description is pretty much the same. Should you have the time and the DDS pays you for the option go for the 3 baseplates, I use processed baseplates, your light cure stayplate isn't accurate enough to get a true result for it.

Last edited:
TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Your best efficacy from a post dam comes from the palpation and identification of the vibrating line to determine ideal placement of post dam.
Forget using the standard taught default of using the fovea palatini, as it only correlates to ideal post dam placement 25% of the time.

See

Reliability of the fovea palatini for determining the posterior border of the maxillary denture
Chen,Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry Vol. 43, Issue 2, Pages 133-137

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have been using Luckman post dams on my dentures with rather good success...I carve out the initial lines with a rounded carver something like the round end of a discoid cleoid....then I carve the rest with the Blue Dolphin post dam carver....It works out quite well....But that only assumes proper borders and molding is accomplished. There are a number of other factors such as model pouring (I use the box and bead method and get far fewer sore spots). A good processing technique is also helpful. Everything is the sum of all the steps and once part going wrong will manifest itself by either pressure sores or lack of suction.

Top Bottom