Known Lab Retiring Soon

J

jamhirschi

Reaction score
Me and my dad know of a Lab that is retiring here soon. We know several Dental Offices using this lab. How would you go about moving in on the Dentists and trying to get there work. Any ideas\

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
Me and my dad know of a Lab that is retiring here soon. We know several Dental Offices using this lab. How would you go about moving in on the Dentists and trying to get there work. Any ideas\

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest and most direct. Are you in contact with the retiring lab? Is your quality and product offering comparable to theirs? If yes, my first step would be to take the lab owner to lunch and ask him if he has a transition plan in place for his clients. Tell him that you are prepared to take on their work when he decides to retire, and he may be willing to communicate this to them for you. It is a nice gesture on his part to offer his clients a quality option for when he decides to close the doors.

A lot of people are hesitant to just have a discussion. I personally believe it could be the most pain-free approach.

Just my thoughts tho...others might disagree.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree with MAFCDL,

Its a direct approach to getting more information as well. Perhaps this individual has already laid groundwork with someone else?? Perhaps you could use this to your advantage as well. If he is unwilling to meet with you to discuss your intentions than the ball is still back in your court. Market heavy, using your knowledge of his closing with a tag line of "no stressful transitions" I have found that when a client is FORCED to look for a new lab its their stress level that dictates a bunch of snap decisions.

Carpe Diem!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Don't forget to be generous in thanking the retiring lab owner if he helps you. He and his wife just might enjoy a short cruise.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Are you laying the precedent for yourself, Doug?
I think Carneval cruises are having some sales departing from Mobile Alabama . . .
LCM

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Are you laying the precedent for yourself, Doug?
I think Carneval cruises are having some sales departing from Mobile Alabama . . .
LCM

Just make sure you bring plenty of diapers, and bottled water. Maybe some air sick bags, cuz i'm sure the smell of 500-600 people $hitting with no plumbing would not smell like a bed of roses!!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I agree with MAFCDL,

Its a direct approach to getting more information as well. Perhaps this individual has already laid groundwork with someone else?? Perhaps you could use this to your advantage as well. If he is unwilling to meet with you to discuss your intentions than the ball is still back in your court. Market heavy, using your knowledge of his closing with a tag line of "no stressful transitions" I have found that when a client is FORCED to look for a new lab its their stress level that dictates a bunch of snap decisions.

Carpe Diem!

I agree, the retiring lab may have sold out or had referred dentists to others. I'd go to the dentists right now with info in hand (and refeences from other dentists if posssible) and let the dentists choose. The fruit is ripe right now.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Retiring doesnt not mean the doors are closing
has the lab been sold to another party?
is it a family bussiness that is going on down the line?
as mentioned do you have a realtionship (good or bad ) with this lab?
IMO- you can call retiring lab owner and speak to him/her in regard to purchasing client list or perhaps buying lab if it is not sold

J

jamhirschi

Reaction score
I personally do not know the lab owners but from my resources they wanted to sell it. a employee wanted to buy it for a lot less but they weren't selling it for that so they employee left the company. As as now I don't think they are going to sell it just retire and stop. Trying to get some more info from my resources

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
I personally do not know the lab owners but from my resources they wanted to sell it. a employee wanted to buy it for a lot less but they weren't selling it for that so they employee left the company. As as now I don't think they are going to sell it just retire and stop. Trying to get some more info from my resources

good luck - hope it works out for you-
odd to just walk away- getting something is always better than getting nothing but maybe they have their reason
anyway like i stated above hope it works out for you

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I just closed shop in Honolulu to move to Portland. I referred my local accounts to a lab I knew could take care of them.
Many of the accounts were so grateful they insisted I get back in touch when I'm back n operation.

Concerning the OP, I can't believe someone would refuse to sell because the price was too low and then shut it all down and walk away with nothing.... isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face???? Maybe they're just hoping for someone to offer more.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
KCDT - leave Hawaii to go to Portland? It's like leaving paradise and all that luau . . . .
need to have your head examined?
LCM

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
Are you in Perry, UT by any chance?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've had my head examined.... it's hopeless in there.

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
If so. I'm the employee that left that you speak of. Small World!

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
She brought in someone from the area and all I know is that she is going to continue working. I'm not fully convinced that she wanted to retire. She is great though and I had a great five years with her. I imagine that the newly brought on employee will buy/take over when the owner is ready to retire.

Now you have another resource.

My name is Chase. My mom used to teach some of your sisters piano several years ago. I'm opening up shop here in town. I'd love to open communication with you and not have such a closed door environment here in the beautiful BC area.

Chase Smith
Ridgeline Dental Laboratory
108 E Forest St
Brigham City, UT 84302

Last edited:
J

jamhirschi

Reaction score
It is a small world Chase. Welcome to the bc.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Cue the Twilight Zone music......

Top Bottom