keeping Porcelain Brush wet? Good or Bad? (smileline H2O station)

M

mini_aaron

Reaction score
Hello from CANADA, Posting my first thread here. :)

I recently bought a brush and a working station from smileline,

the product description says The H2O working station "stores brush in the water" upside down.

h2o_d_tail_njoy_ds_eau.jpg

Is it really ok to store the $70 brush tip in the water for days??(keep it wet)

I used to wash it and form it sharp, (and put some glaze liquid) and then cap it, store it in a pencil case to lengthen the lifecycle of my brushes...

What's your thoughts/experiences??? :D

doug

doug

Reaction score
I don't think it really makes any difference. Take care of it like you have always done. I've never heard of this being a need. I do clean my brush and form the tip at the end of the day, but nothing more.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I do what you used to do; re-form the tip with stain liquid. Keeping the brushes wet all the time doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but maybe it is.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Is the brush made of natural bristle or synthetic?, if it is natural bristles I do not think it is a good idea to be soaked in water. Beside why on earth would you pay this amount of money for this brush. Looking at my porcelain brush handle stained fingers and building ceramics for 35+ years I could tell you a decent brush will do the trick. The way I make the brush tip to be sharp by mixing glycerin ( bought from a pharmacy) and good quality de-bubelizer fluid in a little glass jar. Before I start building my porcelain I immerse the brush in the fluid for 30 seconds.

The de-bubelizer break the water tension between the bristles and make it hold more water and stay wet longer and the glycerin condition the bristles and make it softer and easier for a sharp tip . So you get the best of both worlds.!!! I hope this helps.:D:D

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say that when done building ceramic for the day, I just put a drop of glycerin( bought from a pharmacy) on the bristles and make a pointy tip and store in it's plastic tube.

elitedentalstudio

elitedentalstudio

Reaction score
Just keep it clean with some soap and warm water. if it has contamination or separating liquids from use, soaking it in water wont do anything for it.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
If it's sable use hair shampoo and conditioner

M

mini_aaron

Reaction score
I don't think it really makes any difference. Take care of it like you have always done. I've never heard of this being a need. I do clean my brush and form the tip at the end of the day, but nothing more.

Thx for the reply, I also wants to keep everything simple as before, but since I payed for the brush this time, wanna keep it longer as possible(payed $150 for a brush)

M

mini_aaron

Reaction score
I do what you used to do; re-form the tip with stain liquid. Keeping the brushes wet all the time doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but maybe it is.

hmm.. Should I be the pioneer to test the brush if it can stay healthy with "dip in the water" option? ;)

M

mini_aaron

Reaction score
Is the brush made of natural bristle or synthetic?, if it is natural bristles I do not think it is a good idea to be soaked in water. Beside why on earth would you pay this amount of money for this brush. Looking at my porcelain brush handle stained fingers and building ceramics for 35+ years I could tell you a decent brush will do the trick. The way I make the brush tip to be sharp by mixing glycerin ( bought from a pharmacy) and good quality de-bubelizer fluid in a little glass jar. Before I start building my porcelain I immerse the brush in the fluid for 30 seconds.

The de-bubelizer break the water tension between the bristles and make it hold more water and stay wet longer and the glycerin condition the bristles and make it softer and easier for a sharp tip . So you get the best of both worlds.!!! I hope this helps.:D:D

My bad, forgot to mention that the brush hair is Kolinsky sable, natural.
Since the quality of the kolinsky sable in the dental market came down since 2~3 years ago, I've been experiencing "losing it's tension in 3months" on every Renfert kolinsky #8 company provided. That's why I wanted to pay my money to find "long lasting kolinsky" and Smileline was my bet. :)

I just started to feel not to dip my natural brush in the water while storing,,, and we can see that the product image from smileline even shows only synthetic brushes dipped in the container..!

Thank you for the tips regarding glycerin, I will try it rightaway. :D

M

mini_aaron

Reaction score
If it's sable use hair shampoo and conditioner

If you are getting good result from "hair conditioner", I really wanna see how the famous "bio silk" hair treatment would do the job on our brushes...(to keep the tension and smoothness, freshness) may be I will try on my old Renfert one.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
I bought the Smileline N.era brush. I've always used Kolisnsky brushes but thought I would try something different.

This brush is impressive. They used some kind of special chemical treatment process and it works. And it does work better than Kolinsky brushes as advertised!

I don't keep it in water. No need... a couple dips in the water in the morning and I'm good to go. The tip never gets dry like the kolinsky hair. I don't need to dip it in stain liquid. no conditioner. Just use it.