Is Glidewell selling Chinese Ceramic Material as ZiRento Distribudent?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My CDT buddy visited me last week. He works in Texas but always like coming to Florida for some good R&R. He recently told me that Glidewell labs has opened up a Zirconia Disc Distribution house called DistribuDent. They say they use TOSOH but when he analyzed the powder it was similar to the powders coming from China. Can anyone verify this?
Congratulations. I think you've won the "First Post Firestorm Award"

One thing I'm curious about. How, exactly, did your CDT buddy analyze the material?
Raman Spectroscopy is about the only "easy" way I can think of, and that is not exactly standard dental lab equipment.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
he probably was doing a material science masters / phd course and did this analysis for a thesis. seeing the cdt credential mean so little...

yeah, him and ... morgan fairchild...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
or he stayed at a holiday inn last night
Could have gotten a subcritical mass of bananas, used their combined potasium ions as a source of particles with a few sheets of film.

Bananas have a very recognizable radioactive signature. Just subtract that from the results. Zutulu!

Did I just really type subcritical mass of bannanas? Oh boy.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
how many do you think that would take? 100 pounds? 30 hundred pounds?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You guys are morphing into the Happy 4/20 day thread again.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
how many do you think that would take? 100 pounds? 30 hundred pounds?
Filmspeed, distance from source to target(inverse square law works, but oddly, here too),background noise level...
maybe a straight truck full in a sheilded room.. couple of days for decent exposures. Reading them, that's the trick. Repeatablity is totally 0 though. Strictly a one-off.

Seriously, you can use a CRT as an emitter. They will generate x-rays if improperly tuned, or properly tuned, whatever. Getting it repeatable, again, is the trick without some decent component level analog electronics knowledge.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
check your bunsen burner
I smell rotten eggs

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Filmspeed, distance from source to target(inverse square law works, but oddly, here too),background noise level...
maybe a straight truck full in a sheilded room.. couple of days for decent exposures. Reading them, that's the trick. Repeatablity is totally 0 though. Strictly a one-off.

Seriously, you can use a CRT as an emitter. They will generate x-rays if improperly tuned, or properly tuned, whatever. Getting it repeatable, again, is the trick without some decent component level analog electronics knowledge.
e37.png

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
Could have gotten a subcritical mass of bananas, used their combined potasium ions as a source of particles with a few sheets of film.

Bananas have a very recognizable radioactive signature. Just subtract that from the results. Zutulu!

Did I just really type subcritical mass of bannanas? Oh boy.

I can attest to this

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My CDT buddy visited me last week. He works in Texas but always like coming to Florida for some good R&R. He recently told me that Glidewell labs has opened up a Zirconia Disc Distribution house called DistribuDent. They say they use TOSOH but when he analyzed the powder it was similar to the powders coming from China. Can anyone verify this?
Back on topic. I am serious about wanting to know how it was analyzed. By whom. Was this just a particle size analysis under a microscope, what?

Top Bottom