Implant Abutment profits

E

edohwin

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just wanted to get a general sense of what lab's expect to profit on implant abutments (not crowns ontop).

For example if it costs me:

$200 for a stock abutment (that includes models, modification, etc) how much should one charge?

$300 for a casted in gold UCLA abutment - how much to charge?

Are we looking at %25 or %35 or %40 or %50 profit on abutments?

Would love to hear the general consensus, I know there will be a wide range :)

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
My question to start with is why are you still using stock and UCLA abutments?

You can outsource your abutments and cut that cost on half. You can send us a model and we can scan, design, and mill a custom Ti Abutment for $149. That eliminates all your labor time wrapped up in adjusting crappy stock abutments or the hassle of waxing and casting UCLA's plus the finishing work.

You have to work smarter these days in able to achieve a higher profit margin.

E

edohwin

Reaction score
This is true. We do outsource some of our custom zirconia and Ti abutments.

So then my next question to you is, how much would I charge a dentist for that $149 Ti abutment that I get from you?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
I charge a abutment fee and a separate fee for parts. If the client wants to use oem or third party parts it doesn't matter to me. Same abutment fee applies.

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Depends, where are you located?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Here's a question. How do you charge a doc who wants cheaper custom ti abut and finds a milling center that I could use at $100? I want to go with 25%. I also do implant labor/ parts as a separate charge.

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Riley you need to have a set flat fee no matter what for your lab that fits within the regions pricing for your area. You have to stay competitive but you have to be able to make a profit.

You are correct all parts need to be a separate charge, analogs, screws, soft tissue etc.

E

edohwin

Reaction score
I think 25% profit of the break-even cost is minimum.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
John Wilson made a good point on a thread like this not too long ago - Maybe he can elaborate more but he said to take into consideration the risk you take when doing an implant case and price accordingly.. One failed abutment/case will eat up the profit on how many successful ones?
Then again, if you are a new lab and really trying to be competitive or trying to gain a lot of new clients you may want to keep that upcharge as low as possible until you reach the number of clients you want.

I know the supply companies upcharge 20-25% to dentists (meaning the % above what they charge labs).. so that's a decent place to start.

Last edited:
D

danalab

Reaction score
My question to start with is why are you still using stock and UCLA abutments?

You can outsource your abutments and cut that cost on half. You can send us a model and we can scan, design, and mill a custom Ti Abutment for $149. That eliminates all your labor time wrapped up in adjusting crappy stock abutments or the hassle of waxing and casting UCLA's plus the finishing work.

You have to work smarter these days in able to achieve a higher profit margin.

D

danalab

Reaction score
Is this wwith all implant systems ..or just a specific few...Astra?

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
All major implant systems.

Top Bottom