I found light weight zirconia. Insight please

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Its been a long time.

So, until today, the only zirconia that I know is the one that produced on zirconia blanks like Bruxzir, whipmix, vericore, etc. And compared to PFM, this zirconia crown is quite heavy. CMIIMW.

And today, in an exhibition in my town, I found a lab whose zirconia sample (already milled) is very light weight. And guess what, the zirconia is already milled in precise size. Common zirconia must be sintered first to achieve the correct size, isnt it?

Anyone have an insight about what kind of zirconia is this? Thank you

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ah, zirconia milled post sinter.

not structurally guraranteeable, poorly shaded, difficult to mill, and extremely expensive.

but lightweight for days. so its got that going for it, which is nice.

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
ah, zirconia milled post sinter.

not structurally guraranteeable, poorly shaded, difficult to mill, and extremely expensive.

but lightweight for days. so its got that going for it, which is nice.

Thanks for replying. Is it a pin type zirconia or 98mm blank? And do you know what brand that made that?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
mostly they are small 14x16x22mm cubes that are not cut with simple diamond coated fluted tools, but diamond impregnated grinding tools. this makes it highly susceptible to cracking, and very easy to get poor fit from bad grinding. must be wet grind to avoid cracks, and heaven help you if you need to do one on a margin that is even a little bit flawed.

prep for this kind of zirconia must be flawless. perfect wall angles, perfect margin angles, perfect shoulder.

so it is worthless. too hard for most people to do right. too much work.

brixzir makes a block. http://www.bruxzir.com/dentist/bruxzir-now/

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
mostly they are small 14x16x22mm cubes that are not cut with simple diamond coated fluted tools, but diamond impregnated grinding tools. this makes it highly susceptible to cracking, and very easy to get poor fit from bad grinding. must be wet grind to avoid cracks, and heaven help you if you need to do one on a margin that is even a little bit flawed.

prep for this kind of zirconia must be flawless. perfect wall angles, perfect margin angles, perfect shoulder.

so it is worthless. too hard for most people to do right. too much work.

brixzir makes a block. http://www.bruxzir.com/dentist/bruxzir-now/
Woww. Thank you for the insight. Now i understand morem thaanknyou master Luke

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Why is it lighter in weight? I would think that after sintering the density would be the same unless the material is different?

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
Why is it lighter in weight? I would think that after sintering the density would be the same unless the material is different?
Good question. Lets see what master Luke says about it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
promotional product possibly. a coping milled to .4mm

naturally 50% lighter than one at the traditional .6mm

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score

So you're saying the density is the same, there's just less material.

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score

At first, i thought it was a coping too. But The in fact it is a full contour crown, before glazed.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive been using light weight Zr for anteriors for a couple years now.

They typically weigh much less than my posteriors.:p

doug

doug

Reaction score
Is the material that HIP zirconia? If i remember correctly that material is fully sintered then milled. Hello bur cost.

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
Is the material that HIP zirconia? If i remember correctly that material is fully sintered then milled. Hello bur cost.
What is HIP Zirconia? Master CoolHandLuke had said it and i think it is pretty accurate. It is pre sintered, and pin type zirconia. Not a 98mm blank one.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
What is HIP Zirconia? Master CoolHandLuke had said it and i think it is pretty accurate. It is pre sintered, and pin type zirconia. Not a 98mm blank one.
Interesting Straumann send an email yesterday proclaiming they are milling full zirconai custom abutments from HIP zirconia. The claim, better fit due to NO post milling shrinkage.

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
The weight of a zirconia restoration is not relevant to patients. Although it may feel heavy in your hand, the weight goes unnoticed in the mouth. I have written a few blogs on zirconia. You can find the most recent here.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/zirconia-weve-come-long-way-bob-cohen-cdt?trk=mp-reader-card
Thank you Master Bob. I will read them
Interesting Straumann send an email yesterday proclaiming they are milling full zirconai custom abutments from HIP zirconia. The claim, better fit due to NO post milling shrinkage.
Is there anyway i can learn more from you master Bob?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
So sorry, NO master here. Just a passion for learning.

Top Bottom