How to start with All-on-4s

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Go for it!!! Dentures are easy!!! A two day course and you're in!!! BIG MONEY!!!!Banghead
I wasn't implying that it is easy. Quite the opposite. I'm just trying to understand where to start. Should we start with surgical guides? We have all the CAD/CAM capabilities. Just need to learn to do them. Are SGs the best place to begin?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Do you have a thorough understanding of occlusion and function?
Well I'm not our removables tech. I do strictly C&B, but from that perspective, yes. My brother-in-law would be doing the all-on-4s. And from a dentures perspective, yes he does have a thorough understanding.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Not sure that sx guides are the place to start. There is a lot to learn regarding implant placement. It has taken me years to gather the knowledge working closely with a few oral surgeons.

Start with Dx. This can be digital or analog and scanned. This tells everyone involved what the end goal is. You can build the proper foundation from there and see most of the challenges ahead of time so you may plan accordingly with your team.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
CoolHandLuke,

Show the documentation of your comments on a Ti bar. Rigid "reduces lifespan of implant"?

Plus your comments on the Trefoil? I believe you need to attend a course before making judgement...
With the amount of A04's I have fabricated. So far, none would have been a candidate for the Trefoil.
Its a limited option.
A proper Ti bar in the proper application doesn't likely reduce the lifespan of an implant, a bad ti bar on the other hand does, and there is plenty of evidence to back that up, I recommend you consult Google. The question at hand is how we are getting the data to create the bar, and how reliable that is... if we're being honest with ourselves.

so why make a rigid bar once integration is complete? why put stress on 4 implants using a full rigid structure like zirconia and risk stress on the bone? why, because its cheap, likely won't break and there's golf to be done.

ive had the nobel rep for my area speak well of no one.

they'll tell you to your face, this is a "60% of the time it works every time" situation and thats the way they want it. trefoil uses a complex system that is not even capable of being planned by nobel's implant clinician! you HAVE to buy all the koolaid before they let you play the game..buying the Optimet scanner is the only way to make a bar with them you can never buy just the screws or copings a kit, and assemble it yourself. People have to buy third party MUA copings or mill the interface into the zirconia which renders all warranties void.

its very simple, its a non-guided surgery for JUST dentate patients with a certain kind of remaining bone, and a certain shape of arch. everyone else cant have this 'cheaper' bar, they have to have custom ones made the traditional way.

now ask me what happens when one of the 3 implants fail. go on ask me.

the whole thing has to come out for a new full custom one because there is no ability to keep all on 2 working, and no system for adding a 4th implant (in this case a new 3rd) so if anything has to be done to it, you haven't saved any money, you likely had to spend much more.

ironically do you know what it was like to get this information from the rep? easy as pie actually. most of it was volunteered.

if you make a softer bar, one with some ability to flex under load, then you transfer the stress of the bite not unto the implant but absorbed within the bar. the implants now fail far less because there is less stress on the implant. It's a question of physics and load transfer.

trinia is ONE such material in a sea of other resins and composites and such. its got its own downsides. its not the endgame, its just the path to it. progress.The 5 year follow up study published a couple years ago now, it seems to be standing the test of time.

let me give you some insight into what i'm working on as a tech developer trying to modernize our industry: we've come across a handful of nifty new resins and composites and have made items and then taken them to a university to have them broken. We have seen whats good and whats bad from a material science standpoint. now we are engineering the process to customize every case and also make it simple to manufacture for the average user.

At the end of the day this would be beneficial to the patient to help even average level GP and surgeon reach a better success rate both for success in implantology and success in prosthetics. We see what works, by seeing what fails... and when and how...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So Mr. @CoolHandLuke ,

Which desktop scanner would you recommend for doing passive fitting titanium bars?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
So Mr. @CoolHandLuke ,

Which desktop scanner would you recommend for doing passive fitting titanium bars?
with optical scanners right now its a multi-phase situation that only illustrates the problem.

1. you take impression and pour model. make anything on this model and then 2. have it try in, cut up and glued back at proper passive fit only for 3. take impression of passive fit thing and pour that and make a new one and assume its fine. literally any scanner can do this.

in order to get an accurate model optically you have to take much bigger scans: not like iTero and Trios with small patches stitched together. they love to tell you you can get 8um accuracy but mathematically it doesnt make sense. anyway, different issue.

right now the best way to get an impression into a passive fit bar is to compensate for the out-of-true models with the above method.

this is by far not nice to do to the patient, takes up two appointments, and involves the sacrifice of a firstborn. forget AI, Elon, making a Ti bar is summoning the demon.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
with optical scanners right now its a multi-phase situation that only illustrates the problem.

1. you take impression and pour model. make anything on this model and then 2. have it try in, cut up and glued back at proper passive fit only for 3. take impression of passive fit thing and pour that and make a new one and assume its fine. literally any scanner can do this.

in order to get an accurate model optically you have to take much bigger scans: not like iTero and Trios with small patches stitched together. they love to tell you you can get 8um accuracy but mathematically it doesnt make sense. anyway, different issue.

right now the best way to get an impression into a passive fit bar is to compensate for the out-of-true models with the above method.

this is by far not nice to do to the patient, takes up two appointments, and involves the sacrifice of a firstborn. forget AI, Elon, making a Ti bar is summoning the demon.
So, you are saying that there isn't one?

ely.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, not what im saying at all. there are plenty.

there arent any intraoral ones, and no true fully digital method. its a lot of appointments, impressions, plaster and rock banging like neanderthals.

i mean you could go touch-probe Renishaw but again to get to that point is a lot of hand work and plaster and futzing.

so no scanner that I personally would use or recommend or develop working relationships with. no.

but if you want to bang rocks together, spend as few bucks as possible (or i mean spend as many as you can deduct in taxation) and get whatever suits your fancy. its not what Brian Boytano'd do.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It's what I am saying. There isn't one.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
A proper Ti bar in the proper application doesn't likely reduce the lifespan of an implant, a bad ti bar on the other hand does, and there is plenty of evidence to back that up, I recommend you consult Google. The question at hand is how we are getting the data to create the bar, and how reliable that is... if we're being honest with ourselves.

so why make a rigid bar once integration is complete? why put stress on 4 implants using a full rigid structure like zirconia and risk stress on the bone? why, because its cheap, likely won't break and there's golf to be done.

ive had the nobel rep for my area speak well of no one.

they'll tell you to your face, this is a "60% of the time it works every time" situation and thats the way they want it. trefoil uses a complex system that is not even capable of being planned by nobel's implant clinician! you HAVE to buy all the koolaid before they let you play the game..buying the Optimet scanner is the only way to make a bar with them you can never buy just the screws or copings a kit, and assemble it yourself. People have to buy third party MUA copings or mill the interface into the zirconia which renders all warranties void.

its very simple, its a non-guided surgery for JUST dentate patients with a certain kind of remaining bone, and a certain shape of arch. everyone else cant have this 'cheaper' bar, they have to have custom ones made the traditional way.

now ask me what happens when one of the 3 implants fail. go on ask me.

the whole thing has to come out for a new full custom one because there is no ability to keep all on 2 working, and no system for adding a 4th implant (in this case a new 3rd) so if anything has to be done to it, you haven't saved any money, you likely had to spend much more.

ironically do you know what it was like to get this information from the rep? easy as pie actually. most of it was volunteered.

if you make a softer bar, one with some ability to flex under load, then you transfer the stress of the bite not unto the implant but absorbed within the bar. the implants now fail far less because there is less stress on the implant. It's a question of physics and load transfer.

trinia is ONE such material in a sea of other resins and composites and such. its got its own downsides. its not the endgame, its just the path to it. progress.The 5 year follow up study published a couple years ago now, it seems to be standing the test of time.

let me give you some insight into what i'm working on as a tech developer trying to modernize our industry: we've come across a handful of nifty new resins and composites and have made items and then taken them to a university to have them broken. We have seen whats good and whats bad from a material science standpoint. now we are engineering the process to customize every case and also make it simple to manufacture for the average user.

At the end of the day this would be beneficial to the patient to help even average level GP and surgeon reach a better success rate both for success in implantology and success in prosthetics. We see what works, by seeing what fails... and when and how...

Google, are you kidding me? All I have to do is just ask you...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Google, are you kidding me? All I have to do is just ask you...
why do you think the tolerance for passive fit is 2um

why do you think its such a huge requirement to have passive fit

behind every sign is a story right? so whats the story according to you?

we agree that bad bars make implants fail, we have not disagreed here. all i am pointing out is the obvious - bad bar puts constant load on the implant and causes failure. its so rigid that it would have been better to be flexible, because the load would be retained in the internal stresses of the flexible frame rather than on the newly formed osseointegrations.

you can see examples of this by image searching "failed dental implant" in your favourite Bing-type-tool

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
@CHL you jump a bit to short i dont care about pic but this is an option with each scanner !!! a lot of theoretical stuff I don't want to explain that now
90 micron with splinted transfer copings 130 around with open or closed tray only so what passiv fit ?? but how works orthodontic ?? how many bone resorption and remodeling is ok before any implant fail ?? i dont know any study about that ??!! but what i know is every flex material triggers parafunktion . Teeth are not so much flexible in the alveolus, just to save your work make it flex not sure its the right way ?? seen in the 80 th ime ( intra mobile elements) from imz are they still available no.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
why do you think the tolerance for passive fit is 2um

why do you think its such a huge requirement to have passive fit

behind every sign is a story right? so whats the story according to you?

we agree that bad bars make implants fail, we have not disagreed here. all i am pointing out is the obvious - bad bar puts constant load on the implant and causes failure. its so rigid that it would have been better to be flexible, because the load would be retained in the internal stresses of the flexible frame rather than on the newly formed osseointegrations.

you can see examples of this by image searching "failed dental implant" in your favourite Bing-type-tool

Who said anything about a bad bar "passive fit'. The context of this discussion out in left field...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Who said anything about a bad bar "passive fit'. The context of this discussion out in left field...
dude, we went to talking about how trinia was a good thing for reinventing denturism, to discussing why passive fit used to be important. i say used to be because with the introduction of flexible bar material now its not super important. implants can be immediately loaded simultaneously. the bar will absorb the torque from moving implants.

the old method of titanium bars and plastic dentures is coming to an end, within your lifetime. if i have my way, before this decade is through.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'll fitting Trinia is equally as bad as a rigd bar made of titanium. PA is still King.

J

Juvora dental

Reaction score
I agree with Jason, I wouldnt be so quick to jump on the trinia bandwagon because its 'the next big thing'. Peek and pekkton have a much longer track record in medical and dental implants but ultimately it comes down to what the Dr prescribes. Im surprised no one has mentioned peek materials, I think in a matter of years we probably wont be using ti for these bars.
Be careful what you wish for, the bigger your plate, the more you have to eat.. if youre on DW and just doing single unit implants ..and just getting started with printing and milling, I would say the learning curve is steeper than you think.

For those interested in finding out more regarding the PEEK type materials, JUVORA has recently been FDA cleared for permanent long term use in the Ao4 type indications. Please contact Juvora or a USA based dealer like ESPRIT dental for more info.
https://espritdental.com/contact-us/

G

grantoz

Reaction score
just for the record i have proper records of all my biocare ti bar zi davis bridge restos going back 7 years not one implant failure, broken screw broken zi frame on top by zirkonzahn prettau by me. so i deffinately think and have the back up to say rigid works and works well .and thats about 180 full aches just with biocare. no warranty claims by any body .