Hard or Spring Hard for Orthodontic Appliances

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Can anybody please tell which I should be using and/or the differences between them?

If it is a preference thing, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of wire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am really confused about them

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
These are descriptive terms often used to describe Austenitic (Cr-Ni) wire. Hard was more often used by non orthodontic laboratories for clasps brite drawn stainless, spring wire used by the orthodontic laboratories for tooth movement.
This describes the drawing strength, If wire drawn to hard it becomes brittle.
Wire is annealed to soft,as it is drawn thru dies it becomes harder thru compression.
  • Soft Annealed
  • 1/8 Hard
  • 1/4 Hard
  • 1/2 Hard
  • 3/4 Hard
  • Spring
If you are starting out you will use the material supplied to you. As I restock I restock with menzanium wire instead of cheaper stainless austenitic wire. My reasoning is the menzanium is nickel free and as regulations strangle us I just want to be a little ahead of them. I have started noting in my invoices the materials & lot numbers, just to get into the habit and have the correct information in place for when the ACA starts requiring (2016 material identification) this information be available to dentist & patient.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi AJEL,

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. I am using stainless steel wire which according to its manufacturers (KC Smith),they supply most of the UK dental companies with the same wire.

What is your viewpoint comparing Stainless steel wire to Chromium cobalt wire (putting regulations aside) to bend adams clasps?

Thanks,

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
they are hardened and anealed the same. I prefer a chrome Ni wire to bend but the Ni with allergies I am staying away from. If you try several hardnesses you will find a 18/8 or 317 stainless wire you will like. For Adams I like a .8mm med hsrd. For a labial on a hawley a .9mm soft, it will harden with time, and soft breaks less.

Top Bottom