Good morning

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Yes we are scanning and milling E-max and gold out of wax. The disks we use we purchased from Sagemax, and they are about $12 a disk. I get about 30 units a disk. There isn't really a way to determine how much a month. It cuts out 30-45 min of wax time down to 7 min scan and design time. Only thing needed to be checked are the margins.

Have you ever thought that it would be nice to just mill a gold crown instead of spruing, investing, burning out, and casting?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
We made some MPG blocks a few years ago 16/16 so we could mill some non precious yellow shells, turned out really nice. But to mill a gold crown would cost sooooooooo much to mill, unless you had a dedicated mill unit that just milled shells so you could return the scrap.

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
We made some MPG blocks a few years ago 16/16 so we could mill some non precious yellow shells, turned out really nice. But to mill a gold crown would cost sooooooooo much to mill, unless you had a dedicated mill unit that just milled shells so you could return the scrap.

Well, that is true for a dental lab. The metal market has made the materials too expensive for a lab to maintain a supply of them and recover the scrap quickly. However, that is not the case for a refinery run by a bunch of old dental technicians. I will post some pictures of some of what we can produce and talk more about it in a separate thread.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Have you ever thought that it would be nice to just mill a gold crown instead of spruing, investing, burning out, and casting?

No i've never really even thought of milling out gold crowns. It would be a waste of metal, not to mention expensive. Even if you could capture the metal, it wouldn't be 100%. I'd have to have 3-4 mills specifically for a certian metal. I was at a Bego class in Chicago where they are talking about laser sintering precious metals. Now that I might be interested in especially for long span bridges, and help keep inventory cost down. But to answer your question, no I would never mill gold. I wouldn't even want to know how much a gold disk would cost!!!