rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What did the original tooth look like?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Looks good and passable.
Note to be a nit-picky lab tech… maybe the central dissectional groove could be moved a bit buccally and form the mesial fossa to receive the opposing cusp. Looks like the opposing cusp is hitting the mesio-buccal cusp ridge in a weird spot? But could be just right without seeing all the angles and opposing. B
But again, a good usable crown to all but the super exotic boutique labs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm not sure. This doctor usually doesn't send those pictures.
The adjacent teeth will always give you a clue on how detailed the occlusal anatomy should be.
When you start designing crowns from an IOS, you can use the preprep scan to copy the original tooth with any improvements.
What you could do is ask for the temp impression which you could pour, scan, and copy.
The best design is the one that looks like the original. yes, there are times when you need to change the morphology, but rarely.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Occlusally, maybe just a little to pinched together, maybe also a bit to steep of anatomy compared to the others (making it looked more pinched). I would bring the central dissectional area up just a bit, to help flatten out the occlusal table, if the opposing allows for it. How does the opposing move through excursions when you check it with a 3Shape articulator?

All in all it looks pretty good from that view. If I were to post one of my #15s, I'm sure I'd get plenty of helpful feedback, too ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Occlusally, maybe just a little to pinched together, maybe also a bit to steep of anatomy compared to the others (making it looked more pinched). I would bring the central dissectional area up just a bit, to help flatten out the occlusal table, if the opposing allows for it. How does the opposing move through excursions when you check it with a 3Shape articulator?

All in all it looks pretty good from that view. If I were to post one of my #15s, I'm sure I'd get plenty of helpful feedback, too ;)
We'd take it easy on you ...no really we would...Hahaha

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Based on your recent post, I would say this is a good design from someone learning the software. It is impossible to give truly good feedback without more marking info and seeing the opposing. From a function and matching the mouth aspect, from what I can see I would guess that the buccal, and maybe the lingual are a little under contoured.

Beyond that the main things I see are common to people getting into design. Mainly a general lack of smoothness and clean contours. This is something that only comes with time and practice, though there are helpful tools and techniques to speed it up. The results of improving these factors will be that the crown takes less time to finish after milling. The biggest spots sticking out to me are the contact area, this appears to be undercut and will likely be tricky to get a good contact from. And the margins, there are a lot of "bad" meshes here (places where you can more easily see the triangle shapes that make up the mesh and the triangles are jaggedy). This won't necessarily affect anything, but I have seen it affect the margin milling quality.

Again, I am being nitpicky and we don't have enough info to give good design feedback, but these are my couple thoughts

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
As far as the margins, if you end up twisting or rotating the crown after the margin has been connected, can also muck it up a bit. Try disconnecting then re-connecting the margin after the crown is in the position you want it to be in, should help to give you a cleaner margin and emergence. The margin below is a feather.

margins.JPG

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Always amazing the attention to detail when the tooth next to it has a 3/4 amalgam sticking out of it.

C

Chrischung

Reaction score
Note to be a nit-picky lab tech… maybe the central dissectional groove could be moved a bit buccally and form the mesial fossa to receive the opposing cusp. Looks like the opposing cusp is hitting the mesio-buccal cusp ridge in a weird spot?
The more nit-pickier, the better. I really appreciate it.

The adjacent teeth will always give you a clue on how detailed the occlusal anatomy should be.
When you start designing crowns from an IOS, you can use the preprep scan to copy the original tooth with any improvements.
What you could do is ask for the temp impression which you could pour, scan, and copy.
The best design is the one that looks like the original. yes, there are times when you need to change the morphology, but rarely.
Is the temp impression before the doctor preps the tooth?

I never thought of using a digital articulator. Man, there's so much to learn. I don't think I even know how to use those articulators. I've only used plaster to set them up.

Based on your recent post, I would say this is a good design from someone learning the software. It is impossible to give truly good feedback without more marking info and seeing the opposing. From a function and matching the mouth aspect, from what I can see I would guess that the buccal, and maybe the lingual are a little under contoured.

Beyond that the main things I see are common to people getting into design. Mainly a general lack of smoothness and clean contours. This is something that only comes with time and practice, though there are helpful tools and techniques to speed it up. The results of improving these factors will be that the crown takes less time to finish after milling. The biggest spots sticking out to me are the contact area, this appears to be undercut and will likely be tricky to get a good contact from. And the margins, there are a lot of "bad" meshes here (places where you can more easily see the triangle shapes that make up the mesh and the triangles are jaggedy). This won't necessarily affect anything, but I have seen it affect the margin milling quality.

Again, I am being nitpicky and we don't have enough info to give good design feedback, but these are my couple thoughts
I just realized that the stl file only shows the designed crown, and not all the scans. Is there a file to show all the models?

Margins scare me the most, because if it gets chipped, it has to be re-milled. Recently, I received a crown that I have designed from a milling center, and there was a chip along the buccal margin. I wish they could have told me, before sending it out to me.

Top Bottom