FCZ Production

C

CADL

Reaction score
Hello from South Florida. Great forum here, lots of good info. I'm curious to what a realistic production for a tech who is only staining and glazing FCZ crowns, assuming minimal margin/contact/occlusal finishing. Thanks.

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
do you want to start designing and milling fcz ?

C

CADL

Reaction score
We are already designing here, milling will be in the near future. For now we have a local lab mill them for us and it's been working out well. Just not sure what to expect from a tech as far as production once we get the crowns back sintered.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
For a production point of view your tech should be able to produce at least 30 units a day of FCZ. That would require finishing margin, contacts, and etc. What we have done is we have one dedicated person to just stain and glaze and she is producing close to 100 units a day, she gets it done.

C

CADL

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Your tech definitely does get it done. If there are any techs out there that can stain and glaze 100, or even 30, FCZs and you'd like to come to Florida please PM me!

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Good lord, I struggle to get ONE to look like a shade tab...

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Where was the video posted the other day about the tech who was doing 250 layered units a day. If thats anything to go by then about 500 stain and glazes a day should be about right. :rolleyes:

"If there are any techs out there that can stain and glaze 100, or even 30, FCZs and you'd like to come to Florida"

id love to emigrate to florida and 30-40 stain and glaze a day sounds no problem. Unfortunately sitting there day after day just staining and glazing FCZ sounds like the most mind numbing job i could think of.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I concur with paulg. However, I remember several years ago, we had a tech who's sole responsibility was staining and glazing (65-70 units per day - mostly PFMs at the time) He was part-time - about four hours per day. I had the "Don't you get bored?" chat with him one day. He looked at me with that head-****ed/huh? look that your dog will occasionally give you when the food bowl is empty, and said (in one of the best Big Lebowski imitations I've ever heard) , "Dude, THIS is CATHARTIC".

Different strokes for different folks...

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Where was the video posted the other day about the tech who was doing 250 layered units a day. If thats anything to go by then about 500 stain and glazes a day should be about right. :rolleyes:

"If there are any techs out there that can stain and glaze 100, or even 30, FCZs and you'd like to come to Florida"

id love to emigrate to florida and 30-40 stain and glaze a day sounds no problem. Unfortunately sitting there day after day just staining and glazing FCZ sounds like the most mind numbing job i could think of.

that would be a dream job for me lol. Is that a "future" for the average tech out there?popcorn Than God I don't deal with it anymore....

C

CADL

Reaction score
I can't disagree with you guys that it wouldn't be the most exciting job, but like in most non 1 or 2 man labs if you you excel at what you are doing you are afforded the opportunity to work in other areas. I think very few labs right now afford a tech the opportunity to bounce around so much that there is no monotony in their day.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Paul, that's why I have the iPad and wireless headphones lol. Netflix keeps me half way sane....

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Id be lying if i said there wernt days id take doing 40 stains and glaze FCZ's over getting a single central right!

Probably earn more out of the FCZ's as well.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You may earn more monetarily but lose a lot of satisfaction in your end result....

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Satisfaction does not lead to early retirement, effort and time needs to be commensurate with compensation. Sadly in this industry of tortured artists we lose site that the products we produce need to make sense. When I realized I could not be everything to everyone and focused on what I was good at my production went up and my bottom line was much fatter.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I wish I could spend more time at the bench. There are days where I feel like all the hardwork I put into R&D doesn't show for much since I end up doing none of the production work.

Though I know if I were to be at the bench consistently, that fine line of over-obsessed vs good enough to be put out would end up making my unit count drop to..... haha god knows

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Satisfaction does not lead to early retirement, effort and time needs to be commensurate with compensation. Sadly in this industry of tortured artists we lose site that the products we produce need to make sense. When I realized I could not be everything to everyone and focused on what I was good at my production went up and my bottom line was much fatter.

DITTO DITTO DITTO !!!
If I cant make money at it I dont offer it. Tell them they need to send it to another lab.

Same with my schedule. If I deviate from it I loose money.
Everyting I produce has to flow together, I cant stop everything to work on one case or type of restoration.
Thats where diadnostic waxups screw me up. They are a necessary evil.

If my wifes not here to answer the phone I let it go to machine. Let her listen to the message. The Drs have my cell # or email the front desk calls thr other #.

Last edited:
ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
DITTO DITTO DITTO !!!
If I cant make money at it I dont offer it. Tell them they need to send it to another lab.

Same with my schedule. If I deviate from it I loose money.
Everyting I produce has to flow together, I cant stop everything to work on one case or type of restoration.
Thats where diadnostic waxups screw me up. They are a necessary evil.

If my wifes not here to answer the phone I let it go to machine. Let her listen to the message. The Drs have my cell # or email the front desk calls thr other #.
I cannot seem to keep up on my diagnostics either, I get tethered to the ceramics bench and the phone. I need another ceramist, I have heard they are a dime a dozen .LOL Hey Al what do you think of Minnesota? I will do all the diagnostics I promise.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Id be lying if i said there wernt days id take doing 40 stains and glaze FCZ's over getting a single central right!

Probably earn more out of the FCZ's as well.

Paul i think living in sunny Florida and doing this would be OK. Could still get satisfaction by making a nice job. My day is always stress having to mix in implant work,layering Zr,bonded etc ! I`m up for it !! There is also probably other interesting stuff going on !

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Good lord, I struggle to get ONE to look like a shade tab...

It does't metter anymore. Dentists care only about price this days,not even quality IMO. Who cares that patient will need to pull the tooth out in the future in case if need to extract fullzir crown out,lol.popcorn more work for periodontists and lawyers!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom