Exocad diagnostics

M

macminn

Reaction score
We are trying to figure out how to save a case during the design process. This comes in handy when doing cosmetic cases. We would like to design the case and save it. When the patient or doctor wants to make changes, we would like to use the existing file to make the changes on and save the changes. But we want to save the original file as well. We like to keep all the changes and progressions we go through.
We have been on the phone with tech support and can't figure it out.
We've tried copying the folder, moving it somewhere else, and even if we use the import feature to import the moved file, it writes to the old file, and we can't pull it up again.

I'm hoping there's an easy solution to this, but we've tried all we can think of.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
This sounds very easy to me, when we want to mess about with a job but dont want to loose the origional data, we just save then go to the load screen and tell it to DUPLICATE once this is done it will open the second duplicated file and ask if you want to load the scan data only or if you want to open from were you saved it. Is this what you are after, hope so...All the best Pete (Once you duplicate the file it gives it a new name so it will not get confused with the origional and cant be writen over.)

Last edited:
M

macminn

Reaction score
K2,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought when we wanted to do this, but it doesn't work that way for us. I'm wondering if the version I have (through Origin) has some limited features. When I tell it to DUPLICATE, it duplicates it, but it doesn't give it a new name. Also, when I open it, just as you said, it asks if I want to load the scan data only or the scene file. I want the scene file, so I select that. After we make changes, it asks if I want to save it, of course I do, and then it overwrites the original file. Then I load the other file, the one I didn't make changes to, and it too has been changed. There should be a "Save as..." function somewhere in the program.

I'm not getting very much help from Origin at this point either.

Jason, you have any experience keeping different stages of a design case?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
OK really confused now, just scanned in a mock up job took it to design stage and saved it, then duplicated it and it Did give it a new file name, we then swaped the Ul 2 for an ul 6 and saved that. Guess what the origional file was still an ul 2. There seems to be a problem with your software not renaming the file. Could you email me a single unit (The full file) and I will duplicate it and return it to you, just to see if your system lets you play with both without changing the other.
[email protected]

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I only tried this one time before. It was close to a year ago. I got the same issue. It created a new case with the same name. I actually created a few duplicates and it changed them all. Honestly, I got caught up in other things and the need never arose so I never revisited it. I'll check it out in the morning.

M

macminn

Reaction score
Peter,

Thanks much for sending the files for me to play around with. Unfortunately I couldn't open the cad files. I go a message that says "An error ocurred while loading the scene file. Note that you can only load scene files that were created using the exact same software version. Scene files crated using an older or newer version of the software cannot be loaded.

Again, thanks for trying.

This is pretty frustrating, especially since I'm getting no support from B & D right now.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
No probs pal, like I said it is a problem with your Cart No, when you create a job the number should read 001, then once you duplicate it, it should re save its self as 002. You could duplicate the job and then just go into the file and change all the individual internal numbers to 002. I know its a bit of a pain but it would work until you get it sorted.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Save all mesh individually as an stl. One by One.

Start a new case, and import those stl files as whatever you need them to be...(opposing, prep, neighbors, etc.)

No?

M

macminn

Reaction score
Makes sense, I just don't know if that's possible to do with Exocad. Not sure how to import the stl files.

Top Bottom